cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair early termination charge and wrong bill

FIXED
Tumblefish99

Unfair early termination charge and wrong bill

On 11th January I received an email telling me my contract needed soon on 27th February.

It included the following line “If you decide to leave before the end of your current contract you can do so without paying any early termination fees by getting in touch with us on 0800 587 1942 and giving 14 days’ notice”

I rang the number on 21st January to give my 14 days notice having already started the switching process to another supplier which would switch on 3rd February, I was told I wouldn’t be charged an early termination charge regardless of ringing as I had arranged a switch. I then received an email telling me that I would pay an early termination charge of £9.27 for leaving before the end of my minimum term

Assuming the charge was a mistake I waited to see what my final bill would say but now I have received a standard monthly bill for the normal amount taking me up to 27th February (end of my contract). No mention of it being a final bill.

So, surely I should be receiving a final bill for payment owed up to 3rd February? Not for the whole month. I am also concerned that I will then receive another bill for the unfair early termination fee.

thanks

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Unfair early termination charge and wrong bill

You will not get your final bill until after you have moved.

In the mean time your bills follow the normal sequence. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Hi @Tumblefish99  whilst waiting for a staff reponse, which might be a while in the current circumstances, I'll try and explain some of the points you raise but please bear in mind I am just a customer like yourself and have no access to your account details.

I then received an email telling me that I would pay an early termination charge of £9.27 for leaving before the end of my minimum term

That is an automated email and doesn't take into account that ETC's may have been waived.

Assuming the charge was a mistake I waited to see what my final bill would say but now I have received a standard monthly bill for the normal amount taking me up to 27th February (end of my contract). No mention of it being a final bill.

Whilst your switch of supplier is scheduled for 3rd Feb, this can be delayed for a number of reasons. The final bill is not generated until the switch has actually completed. In your case your billing date appears to the the 27th of the month. Since you pay in advance, a bill for 27th Jan to 26th Feb is generated as normal. Once the switch actually happens then the final bill will include a refund for the period, from the actiual switch date to the 26th Feb, for which you will have already paid.

Hope that helps explain the confusion

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tumblefish99

Thank you. That’s very informative.