cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair charge for early termination

tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Unfair charge for early termination

I have posted this elsewhere, but was advised to start a new thread.

Following repeated drop-outs, which have become so disruptive it was affecting my work, I found a post which stated, "FTTP is indeed available for you and as per the advice above if you move to BT or EE we'll waive any termination fees. We'd just ask that you'd call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss and arrange." I duly called and asked the call handler to verify this was indeed the case. I was assured there would be no termination fee, and was passed to BT. The Plusnet call handler assured me I would get a call back to complete the process once BT had confirmed the FTTP installation date.
I received no call back, but was alerted to a support ticket confirming my cancellation.
Within seconds of hanging up with the BT agent I received an email stating, "Because you're moving your broadband and phone before the end of your minimum term, you will be subject to early termination charges. These have been calculated at £33.70. You can find out more information about this in our Price Guide."
Still no call-back.

I updated the support ticket, but this was ignored also.

I have never had much success with Plusnet customer support, and this appears to be yet another disaster in the making.

I would obviously prefer to have this resolved before the termination date, as dealing with suppliers when no longer a customer is almost always a nightmare.

Would it be possible for someone within Plusnet to look into this and advise why the twice promised termination fee waiver appears to apply to everyone except me?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Unfair charge for early termination

@tazmaniandevil 

I would expect a staffer to come along and sort this for you today. If you get no response then tomorrow raise a formal complaint. You can do it by raising a ticket. That almost guarantees that you will get attention.  https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Cheers. I already have an open ticket, which has been ignored.

Last time I had any dealings with customer support I ended up having to escalate it to the CEO, as I was being given the run-around and being left without the service I was paying for, for 6 weeks. I did rather hope that I would not have to do so this time round.

It's such a shame, because the actual product is relatively hassle free and the price is competitive. I'm only moving because my router is dying, and the line speed in the middle of nowhere leaves a lot to be desired.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @tazmaniandevil

I'm sorry to see you've received an automated email to advise of termination charges.

I've sorted this out for you now and I've added a reply onto your support ticket 220367243 with more information.

I hope this helps. Let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Thank you for this. Hopefully the rest of the move will be trouble free.
I hope processes are being looked at to prevent this happening to others.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @tazmaniandevil

Having gone through the process just now, unfortunately this is due to agent error in not following things up with you after your call with BT to sign up for FTTP. If they had followed up, they'd have been able to take the same or similar actions I've taken to ensure we don't charge you a termination fee, so I've arranged for feedback to be passed on. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

I have now had a letter through from Lisa Hardie informing me that as I have transferred before the end of my contract I will be subject to charges.
I would appreciate a letter confirming that this is indeed incorrect and confirming what you have stated above.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The letter you've received would be automated on the back of the "We're sorry to hear you're leaving us." email we've sent with the termination fees. I'd recommend ignoring it as I've already taken steps to make sure we don't charge you this.

I'll drop you an email via your account with confirmation.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet