cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected price hike !

Ianh1

Unexpected price hike !

Why has my monthly bill gone from £19 to £28 since September ? I have had no communication from plusnet about any changes to my account, I can't get through on the phone to customer services, 45 minute wait ! And online chat I am miles back in a que with no time scale, 'do us proud' don't think so.

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Unexpected price hike !

possibly the discounted deal you got at sign up has run out

Ianh1

It could have, I need to check. I would have thought they were supposed to tell customers when a contract comes to an end, or is about to ? If not then they need to redo their customer focused advertising. If I can't get the price back down then I will be off somewhere else I'm afraid, that's assuming I can contact them.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

no they don't as the contract clearly states that when the discount runs out the prices will revert to standard

having said that it would be worth phoning Customer Options (I am thinking of leaving) and see what they will offer 0800 013 2632.  during the day

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I had a similar issue this month - my DD notice came in at £10 more than usual, and I realised it has been a year since I negotiated a discount, so I rang up COT to see if it could be renewed (got straight through despite being warned of a potential 15 minute wait).

Unfortunately my contract doesn't run out until April 2017, and so there is no possibility of getting any further discount until January. Sad

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Yup - PN seem to have got into the "habit" of offering discounts for 12 months on an 18 month contract (or 18 months on 24 month deal) . Since it isn't obvious anywhere on the personalised web pages, it comes as a "surprise" Sad

Ianh1

Checked my contract, and yes it has expired, I have tried to contact plusnet most of last night, and through this morning with no success, so I will be leaving this weekend when I find another supplier, checked on the usual comparison sites and I have quite a it of choice, sorry plusnet, but you haven't done me or yourselves proud.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I renewed my contract for 24 months over a month ago.

I only realised a few days ago that later tickets they had raised showed discounts were only going to be applied for 12 months instead of 24 months as quoted in the 'offer' ticket.  I queried this with PN by raising a ticket.

Cut a long story short.   It transpires PN's back office systems can only apply discounts for only 12 months at a time.  They have now set up a ticket which will re-open in October 2017, to remind someone at PN to re-apply the discounts for the remaining 12 months....

fwiw, try phoning customer options team around mid afternoon on a weekday.  I could never get through when phoning in mornings.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Ianh1

If I can't get through at any normal time then as far as I am concerned that's it, they have had their chance to keep my business and blown it, it's not up to customers to go out of their way on behalf of a company. The 'back office' operation obviously can't cope with the customers they already have, let alone seeking new ones, decision made.

wildthing666
Grafter

Just wait for them to increase their price above the rate of inflation then terminate. I did this with my previous supplier they gave me no notice of the increase so I took that months increase as the 30 day notice and got all the charges dropped after emailing the CEO when they insisted I pay over £200 early termination charges

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That doesn't apply with Plusnet as any detrimental change to your contract allows you to get out of it

Rate of inflation has northing to do with it

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Really how hard would it be to send out emails which run something like:-

Your contract is about to come to an end on ..........

This means your monthly payment will rise to .........

You do have other options which are..........

But that would involve positive customer relations. Are you up for it plusnet?

jetstar
Grafter

That would be ideal but plusnet would really prefer us to pay full-price all the time.

They are really only interested in catching 'new' customers with promotion prices.