Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade online

FIXED
Orang
Hooked

Unable to upgrade online

Hi All,

My mother in law has been a plusnet customer for many years (>12) but now finds herself out of contract and paying well over the odds for a very basic service (£32.88 for what is currently on offer for £17.99!!).  We'd like to upgrade this and practically the easiest way to do this would be online.

However, it doesn't work.  The only "option" that comes up is to "keep existing package" and even this is greyed out. (see pic) It's the same from my laptop and on two mobile phones so I don't think it's a browser or cache issue as suggested by tech support..

I've spoken to customer services who were unable to help, partly because I'm not on the account as an "authorised user" (even though I originally set it up), but mostly because tech services apparently insist there is nothing wrong with the account when clearly there is.

At present the only way seems to be to get her to ring them, which could be challenging for both sides (84, not very tech savvy and somewhat hard of hearing!).  We don't live that close so it's not that easy for me to pop over and "supervise".

Would be much easier if the website worked!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Unable to upgrade online

@Orang  it looks like the system doesnt think Fibre is available

What does the BT Wholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL say is available

Enter the phone number and check the results, If youre unsure what they mean then post a screenshot ( redact any phone number or address as this is a public forum ) and we'll be able to advise what options are available

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Orang
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't checked, but I don't necessarily want fibre.  I just want her to be charged a reasonable rate.  This is central Taunton and there is a fibre cabinet less than 50m away, so it would be surprising if FTTC wasn't available.

Regards

Nick

Orang
Hooked

Ok, I have now checked (using the address, the checker seems to hate all numbers), result is attached, which I think shows that FTTC is available with 80mbps, though I may be mis-reading?

Thanks

Nick

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Ok, I have now checked (using the address, the checker seems to hate all numbers), result is attached, which I think shows that FTTC is available with 80mbps, though I may be mis-reading?

@Orang you are correct, though the fact that it wont give results for the phone number is strange!. Since the Plusnet systems use exactly the same data as the BT checker, that probably explains why the online system doesnt give any options to change product.

The online system wont give any discounted options for a product/contact change , you will need to call Customer Options 0800 013 2632 to negotiate a new discounted contract

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi @Orang

I'm sorry to see you're having issues renewing or upgrading your mother in law's account online.

Looks like fibre's not available but you should still be able to renew on the same package.

Can you private message me her account username so I can take a closer look?

Also your mother in law can add you as an authorised user Here if she's happy with it. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Orang 

While FTTC is technically available the results you posted are showing "Waiting List" which means the cabinet is full.

Hence the reason PlusNet are not showing FTTC availability.

Brian

Orang
Hooked

Thanks all for your helpful replies.  Cabinet full.....🙄 probably just as well she's not needing higher speeds then!

Regards

Nick

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Orang 

More capacity should be added sooner or later - unless the cabinet is physically full with no space for more ports.

Should FTTC become available then the Unlimited Fibre 40/10 package might be worth considering.

Brian

Orang
Hooked

I think a satisfactory deal has now been done, thanks to Gandalf who gave me enough clues to make the system work for me. 

I was told when speaking to the services team earlier that if we wanted FTTC we could order it and it would be made available within 3 months, (though usually much less).  At this point it really isn't needed.  If she decides to get a smart TV then this will change!  No problem to move up should this occur......

Thanks to all for their help 

Nick

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the post back Nick. 

Awesome, I'm glad to see we've got your mother in law on a good deal now.

No problem at all, let me know if there's ever anything else you'd need help with.  Smiley

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet