cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to put account into someone elses name

FIXED
Johnarthur

Unable to put account into someone elses name

Hi I called plusnet to transfer my dads account into my name and have been told this is not possible as I want to keep my dads landline number surely this cannot be right ? If it is than I will be forced to switch to another provider which seems ridiculous
10 REPLIES 10
Johnarthur

Re: Unable to put account into someone elses name

Just to add my dad is able to consent to the transfer
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Home Phone to My Account/Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Johnarthur 

Before rushing to another provider I would seriously consider whether it is possible to retain the previous owners phone number when you set up a new account with them. I would persist with Plusnet. Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and advise.

Are you aware that you can be added to your father's account to enable you to deal with any non account related issues?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Johnarthur

Thanks we are added on the account just want myself to be the account holder rather than my dad who has moved elsewhere the dd is already taken from my account just seems odd that something so obviously needed cant be done
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I believe its previously been stated

Due to Ofcom requirements, we must not transfer an account from one person to another. The only exception to this is when the customer is deceased. If a change of account holder is required then a new account will have to be set up to take over the old one at the property and any cancellation fee's or outstanding balances paid.

Probably down to GDPR requirements.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

Hi @Johnarthur,

As has been confirmed by the others in the thread, we're unable to transfer the status of Account Holder into another's name for any reason except in the case of the current account holder passing away.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

John,

There is a solution here although it's complex - you can handle this as though you have moved into the house and the account owner has moved out (which is actually what has happened here).

Signup for a new account with PlusNet and take over the line - I believe this will generate a order to take over the line and will cause a 'Sorry you are leaving' email to be sent to your father.  Note if you dad is still under contract then he will be liable for cancellation fees.  You will also be given a new number, as I don't think the PlusNet systems can handle this scenario automatically.

When your new account is setup, you will need to contact PlusNet who should be able to claim back the old number and renumber the line to get your old number back.

The other option is port the number to a VoIP provider which will cause the line to cease (you may want to do this in preparation for PSTN switch off in 2025 anyway).  You can then signup for a new customer, get a new number (which you don't use) and use VoIP for calls.

It's a bit of hassle, but it will get you what you need, plus you can take advantage of new customer offers...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@flanzm 

When your new account is setup, you will need to contact PlusNet who should be able to claim back the old number and renumber the line to get your old number back.

As a new subscriber you can’t ‘claim back’ something that was never allocated to you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

It is possible as we did this when my father died. My mother signed up as a new customer and the line was renumbered later.

You do raise an interesting point though, maybe we could do it due to the account holder passing away.

I think in this situation and given the future shutdown of PSTN network, the simplest solution might be to port the number to VoIP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Where the account holder is deceased and the person taking over the account is the next of kin - the rules are different.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.