Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Upgrade to Fibre Extra

FIXED
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Unable to Upgrade to Fibre Extra

Hi,

I recently decided I would like to upgrade from Fibre to Fibre Extra just for a speed boost as I download a lot of games etc. When I went to my account, the only option there is to "Keep Existing Product" (see attached image) and so I went to live chat who were unable to help, they provided me with a special "promotion" link that did nothing other than redirect to the Member Center on three separate browsers. Finally they threw in the towel and just gave me phone numbers to call.

I would rather avoid this, as I suffer from crippling anxiety and depression and while this may seem trivial to some, it is a huge hurdle for me to get across and the live chat members were less than sympathetic when this was mentioned. There must be some automated way that this can be done? Thanks in advance for any help offered. 

Regards,

James

15 REPLIES 15
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Unable to Upgrade to Fibre Extra

@jimmyc1991 

This usually means PlusNet cannot upgrade you. It can be for various reasons to do with OpenReach. Put your phone number in the following and then post a screen iamge of the results. Make sure you hide or obscure your phone number.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Once we see the results we can advise further. Either this or wait for a staff member to pick up the thread.

Brian

jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi Brian,

Here's the results.

Regards,

James

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jimmyc1991 

The speed that you can get from a FTTC connection is determined by your distance from your local fibre cabinet and the condition of your line. Plusnet will not offer you an upgrade unless your line will support it.

If you follow the advice by @bmc  it will enable us to see if an upgrade is possible and if so, the possible increase in speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi,

I attached the test results to the post above yours.

Regards,

James
bmc
Hero

@jimmyc1991 

Thanks for the results. Nothing obvious is showing problem wise specifically preventing an upgrade. However, there does appear to be a discrepancy between the speeds PN are offering for an upgrade and the available speed as per the latest results (between 49 and 72 download).

@Gandalf  appears to be online so I've tagged him to see if he can help.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

I'd be looking at the router stats for the current service.  Given the BT availability report, I would expect to see the full 40/10 on standard fibre.  If it is anything less, I would first look at the state of the line before proceeding further.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi,

I restarted the hub and took the attached screenshot of the reported broadband speeds in the hub manager. Coming in at just under the 40/10, which seems reasonable given the distance to the cabinet and exchange.

Regards,

James.

EDIT: attached wrong screenshot, rectified. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi James,

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues upgrading your fibre service. 

I've taken a look into this for you and I can't see anything wrong I can fix, so I suspect we may have to change your product from this side. Our Customer Options Team (0800 013 2632) are the folk who normally do this but with the mental health issues you've mentioned, let me see if there's another way, as I can absolutely appreciate how difficult things can be with anxiety and depression. 

In the meantime, would you be able to update the additional support form Here with this information so we'll be aware and we can make sure we're offering the best support we can, where possible. 

Moderators Note: Corrected phone number

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@jimmyc1991 

Given that nothing appears out of sorts I wonder if it was just a simple glitch on the system when you tried to update. I would suggest trying again to upgrade and see what happens.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James,

I've discussed this with a manager and on this occasion, I'm happy to arrange the product change online for you via a support ticket I've created on your account Here. I'm stepping outside of process by doing this, so I can't guarantee we'll be able to do this in future, but hopefully you won't be in the same position to need us to.

I've made you an offer on the ticket which I can do for the fibre extra package. Once you've got back to me there if you're happy with that, I'll run through the legal stuff (terms & conditions etc). Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks so much for arranging this, I really appreciate it. I have replied on the ticket and will await further instruction.

Many thanks again for doing this.

Regards,

James
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James,

No problem at all, I've just added a reply to the ticket 222772438 now.

It's a long read! It's very, very rare that I renew contracts nowadays that I forgot how much there is to go through. 

I've made it as quick and easy for you as I can though. Smiley

I've also done some digging into the issue with upgrading your package online. This is due to our systems not providing the right speed estimates for your line, and as they're providing an estimate that's below 40mbps, it's thinking there's no point in offering you fibre extra. It looks like we can bypass this though from our side which is good. 

We've got the problem logged internally (ref IMT-7608 and IMT-7504) and we're actively working to fix as soon as possible. This issue also means I can't provide you with a new minimum guaranteed speed at the point of sale but I can still go ahead if you're happy with not knowing what this would be up-front straight away. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

A long read indeed! I have replied on the ticket that I have accepted all the terms and I am happy to go ahead. I will double check the additional needs form again as I am maybe missing something.

Regards,

James
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi James,

Awesome, sounds good and cheers for reading all that.

I've arranged the product change now and it should happen on 21.03.22.

I'll check back tomorrow to confirm though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet