Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT advice needed for my sister

jim1985
Grafter

URGENT advice needed for my sister

Hi,

My sister currently has her landline and broadband supplied by Plusnet. However the account is in the name of her now ex partner.

My sister phoned up the other day to find out how to cancel the account so that she can set up a new account in her name. She was advised by the customer services agent that she would have to get her ex partner to phone up and cancel the account as it is in his name. However, she has NO way of contacting her ex partner so this is NOT an option. The customer services agent then advised my sister to cancel the direct debit which has been coming from her bank account, which she has now done. This hasn't really helped the situation though as she is still stuck with a Plusnet broadband connection and landline that is not in her name and now also has no way of being paid as she is not the account holder.

Can a member of staff please assist here as she really needs the account closing or at very least changing over to her name.

Many thanks,

Jim

10 REPLIES 10
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: URGENT advice needed for my sister

The customer service rep in questions advise seems well very poor in this scenario one of the Plusnet staff should hopefully pick this up today and issue some better advice than cancelling the direct debit.

James 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was a bit dubious about the advice.

Presumably, having stopped the direct debit which means that she won't be paying for it, she is continuing to use the service which puts her on very dodgy ground especially if she continues to use the phone or internet after the billing date.

One of my thoughts was that it is going to be difficult to get the current service stopped and hence a long delay in getting a new service started on the line. A way round that would be to order the installation of a second line.

What hasn't been said is if she wants to keep the current phone number which could be especially problematic seeing as it isn't hers!

Edit: Also she's unable to contact her former partner, but I wonder if she'll be able to give contact details when the debt collectors call?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The way to resolve this would be to sign up a new account in your name, this would cause a working line takeover of the existing line and move the services over to you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jim1985
Grafter

Hi Chris,

Are you suggesting that my sister moves provider in order to initiate a working line take over?
Would this work?

She has already tried taking a new Plusnet account out on the same line but was not able to as the service is already being supplied by Plusnet on that line
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I believe she would need to select the option of having no phone number.

Alternatively, if she would like to keep her number the alternative would be a migration to a new provider I'm afraid Sad
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jim1985
Grafter

Hi Anoush

If my sister selects the option of having no phone number would that not initiate a new line installation? The last thing she wants to end up with is 2 lines going to the property, one in her name & one not.

With regards to migrating away to a different provider, would the difference in names on the existing Plusnet account & the potential new providers account not cause any problems with the line take over?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello,

It may initiate a new line installation, or the take over of another line if another one is present.

As for the current account, if the bill isn't paid then failed billing will run its natural course of things and the account will eventually be closed. Any outstanding fees will be passed to the account holder though.

To a new provider, the difference in names shouldn't matter as from their point of view they'll just be taking over the line.

I hope this helps.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Moving to a new provider would exploit a loop hole in the new OFCOM regulations (those that came in when MACs were abolished). Sign up to a new supplier to take over the line - you only have to provide the phone number, they send notice to the existing supplier who notifies the customer. If no objection is received the migration goes ahead. The process has no name checking!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There have been reports of cases where a bad credit rating acquired by one person has affected everyone at their address, and even subsequent occupiers.  Cancelling the DD therefore doesn't sound like such good advice, quite apart from the fact that it doesn't solve the problem for your sister who still wants to have the services.

Mav
Fixes: 514

That may have been the case some years ago but these days credit ratings held by Experian and the like are on the person and not an address.

Of course, if you have a financial link with someone who has a bad credit rating that may affect yours no matter whether you share an address or now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still