Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT! Account hacked

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: URGENT! Account hacked

I'd agree it does seem a little strange, to say the least, that 3 people (at least) have recently received emails with passwords that are very close to that used on PN - One character difference is very close. I went online to see what are popular passwords. Mine, that I recently change, didn't even appear in the top 100. No malware, virus etc has been shown in 2 very recent full scans. The jury is still out!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
dazzy747
Dabbler

My password and email was spot on. When I ran virus and malware check on my Mac it found 8 Malware’s installed on the same day as I received the Chinese email. What I done was removed the Malware and used my IPhone to reset the password via Plusnet’s forgot password. Apparently IPhone and IPad are not so susceptible to virus attack as Macs. I somehow need to check my router tho! Dunno how to do that.
Mardler
Rising Star

It does seem very odd and I suspect many more are affected.

I deleted the original email from my iPad and hopefully it isn’t infected; it’s stock (no jailbreak) so hopefully it’s OK. I will delete the copy in the Sent folder if I don’t hear from the phishing staff at PN today.I am hoping that it has also gone from the PN Mail server as I don’t want it on my PC! Btw, I am running Sophos Security on the iPad and it hasn’t come up with anything yet: either there is nothing or it’s useless.

dazzy: what malware/virus program are you using on your Mac? I use F-secure on the PC but it isn’t so good at finding certain malware. Maybe CCleaner needs to be run again.

You guys might try checking your email address on “pwned”. My PN address supposedly has 6 security breaches but how on earth they can tell I don’t know nor is it possible to find out. For now, I don’t trust it.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Mardler You might well be right by the number affected. I see there are several threads currently running highlighting this password problem. As to phoning people up to change it, what's the point of having a secure password.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mardler
Rising Star

Not sure if you're referring to me but I simply called PN to report the problem and ascertain if it was affecting others not to change my password.

dazzy747
Dabbler

Well here we go again, more hacking to my account and dodgy emails turning up.

This time I am dropping PN and paying off my contract. Or removing my mailbox from their system. Sick to death of this, it’s that or the solicitor becomes involved.

Can anyone advise how to remove the mailbox from my account? Just leaving the internet connect and no email box.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@dazzy747 wrote:
Can anyone advise how to remove the mailbox from my account? Just leaving the internet connect and no email box.

If you can reply to this support ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186460484 confirming you're happy to go ahead we'll destroy the mailbox for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbrady

I've had exactly the same problem with my Plusnet password being displayed in the subject line of the email.  It's not a password I use elsewhere.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jbrady 

I've had exactly the same problem with my Plusnet password being displayed in the subject line of the email.  .

Was this recently? 

Can you tell us where the email originated from? 

Did you see the email on a device using IMAP or POP3 may I ask? Has it replicated over multiple devices when you check your mail? 

It may be beneficial to check your email address on have i been pwned whilst we look into this as well. 

Thanks, 

MoR