cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT! Account hacked

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: URGENT! Account hacked

@Mardler, if you have any suspicions, no matter how small they are, about the integrity of your iPad do a factory reset on it as soon as possible, yes it is a pain but regardless of that, it is a worthwhile thing to do.

Mardler
Rising Star

Yup, I am aware of the possibility and the pain!

Have a good Christmas!

Mardler
Rising Star

One step closer.

A clearance of stored passwords in Chrome cured the main account access problem and doing the same in Safari sorted that. You would have thought that inputting a new password would have overridden the stored on but it seems not.

All that remains is the Chinese email and the use of a password I have used a couple of times.

I am now happy to delete the email and close this topic.

All that remains is to wish everyone who responded a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to hear things are progressing for you. Thumbs_Up

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks @Mardler, with that explanation for your login problems, this sounds quite similar to a discussion about a scam email going round not long ago Here.

I'd recommend changing the password or any similar ones you may use for some peace of mind.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@HarryB wrote:

I'd recommend changing the password or any similar ones you may use for some peace of mind.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Smiley

I'd go further and say never store passwords in a browser. I don't even keep them on a computer.

Have a good 'un.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mardler
Rising Star

I agree, B1, and had already made that decision.
I have been thinking about this a bit more.
I suspect that my address was filched from a data harvested list by a hacker. The list will have also held the password. Bingo.

If I was brave enough (and as an ex IT guy I'm not!) I would have opened the email on the PC and ferreted out the path but now I'm not bothered!
dazzy747
Dabbler

I have just had the same problem, received a Chinese email, with my Plusnet email address stated and password. Looks like its sent and received to my own email inbox. 

Tried to chat online and explain to a person called [CSA Removed] who didn't believe me when I stated two different passwords are in operation for my account. I can log into the main member centre using a password given to me by chat this morning and then use different passwords to change existing ones. I am going to video it and send post the operation. 

The person name [CSA Removed] was ignorant, she/he cut me off and removed chat so I could talk back. Anyone does that to me they are in for a serious complain to the ombudsman. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @dazzy747, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of the issues you had with the webchat team and will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the relevant management for internal review.

We've checked into the account and can see a ticket response stating that the issue is resolved - Can you confirm that this is the case?

dazzy747
Dabbler

Hi Oskar,
I managed to resolve the issue by requesting a forgotten password email after logging in, and changing my email address to a non Plusnet one for the receipt of it. The password seems to be active across the member centre, my router and webmail. Whereas before and at times yesterday three different passwords were in use without being stopped by Plusnet systems.

As far as online chat goes it was appalling, the last chat operator ([CSA Removed]) told me to go to the Police and report the hacking. Surely he should of said I’ll help you resolve the password issues, escalate to a team within Plusnet and then you report to the Police if you want. But, he didn’t in fact he cut me off totally and shut down my option to open another chat window. He then pasted without my consent an open question on my account as you have seen. By this time I was to annoyed and frustrated to follow up with him.

I downloaded Google translate to see what the email said, it’s a demand for payment which I will ignore. But systems are being hacked as it was sent to and from my own Plusnet email address.

But yep the situation is resolved thanks to myself and not Plusnet staff.

Thanks for replying tho, I appreciate it.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @dazzy747, thanks for your detailed report of the poor service you received yesterday.

I'm sorry that you had that experience which is not at all in keeping with our core values. Rest assured - I've forwarded your feedback directly to the agents line manager.

Please don't hesitate to post again, should you have any further issues.

Mardler
Rising Star

Interesting, dazzy747.

The person to whom I spoke on the phone was also rude. I put it down to working on the 24th and wished them a Merry Christmas.

The fact that you had a similar experience with an email is a concern. It looks like a hacker may have obtained PN’s personal data from somewhere. Did your email have your password as the To line with your PN address behind it?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Mardler, thanks for your post.

There is no excuse for rudeness to customers and I'll ensure that your feedback is also passed on.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the rudeness you encountered.

Did you have any joy reporting your issue via phishing@plus.net ?

Mardler
Rising Star

Thx for your response, OP and my apologies for referencing you in my last comment. I have changed that to dazzy747.

No worries about the rudery.

My forwarded email to phishing@plus.net had an error in the address so I just retried and it failed as rejected by the server. This is probably as your software recognises that it is potentially dangerous. A simple test email seemed OK.

I may try changing the subject line.

Edit: that didn’t work. Btw, my error was to (stupidly) use “fishing” not “phishing” but that went so it must be on your server somewhere! Would be great if it can be retrieved.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your response @Mardler.

The phishing email goes through to one of our security teams who'll ensure it's picked up and actioned ASAP.