cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer and downgrade my broadband to housemate?

henderson1977
Grafter

Transfer and downgrade my broadband to housemate?

Hi all
I have searched the FAQs and forums but cannot find an answer so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.  Basically, I'm moving out and just need to transfer my PN broadband to my housemate.  Is this a straight forward process or do I need to cancel and my housemate needs to setup her own broadband account?  Also, she will only need the basic £6.49 package so is it possible to downgrade my package and transfer it to her please?
Thanks
Scott
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfer and downgrade my broadband to housemate?

One question
What are you doing about the phone account.
If you are with BT changing the account holder has been known to count as a cease/restart and cuts of the broadband
henderson1977
Grafter

Of course!  Good point.  Should've thought of that.  Embarrassed
I guess we need to contact BT first but should we expect a period of downtime or will it be a seemless transition?
Regards
Scott
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it causes a cease then there will be two broadband related charges - a cease charge and a restart charge - and a 1 to 2 week period without broadband
You need to make sure it doesn't happen
Of course if you aren't in a 12 month contract with BT you could transfer the phone to Plusnet then change it all over to the new account holder with no problems
henderson1977
Grafter

That sounds like a plan!  Can we do this online or do we need to call the PlusNet call centre please?  There would be no downtime with this option, not even for the transfer of the phone line from BT to PN?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you are on long BT contract, you will find it might cost over £100 to transfer to PN
henderson1977
Grafter

We've been with BT for over 4 years so there should be no contract to worry about thankfully. 
Do we need a MAC code from BT to give to PN to transfer our telephone (and broadband) to PN? 
Do we start the ball rolling with BT or PN? 
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
You don't need a MAC to move your phone, and you can do it from our website, just log in to the member centre, click 'phone' across the top and follow the steps. BT will be notified as part of the transfer process.
Once the phone is with us just call us up and change the details over (we'd need to speak to your housemate too, and take new payment details).
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi Mand, will do. 
1) If we use the PN website to transfer our telephone line from BT to PN
a) how long will it take?
b) and will there we any interruption in service at all?
2) Then we call you to change the details over to my housemate.  Could we then downgrade the broadband package to the cheapest option (£6.49 I believe)?
Thanks
Scott
Mand
Grafter

1)
a) it takes 10-14 days
b) there is sometimes a blip of about 30 minutes on the day of transfer, but this happens fairly rarely
2) Yep, that's no problem (although the downgrade wouldn't happen 'til your next billing date).
Hope that helps. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the BT part of the contract is that they have been putting people on 12 mth contracts recently, and then charging  to move