cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topcashback declined

OES

Re: Topcashback declined

I too have experienced this issue.

When I joined PN via Topcashback I was taken to PlusNet's website which had Topcashback's logo on the page!

When first wanting to submit a claim to TCB I was told that PlusNet don't confirm the claim till the service has gone live.

This took 4 weeks (initially nothing happened, then when I contacted PN I was told I was a Madasafish customer (I wasn't, and came from BT). This has never been explained to me, but ultimately my cashback has been declined because  "the network has not identified Topcashback as the referrer"

This cannot be the case - I only used Topcashback and the page on your website was a special Topcashback page.

Please can you investigate

Thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to our community forums @OES

I'm sorry to hear your cashback has been declined.

I've checked your account and I can confirm it was created via TopCashBack, so I've raised this with our Marketing team to investigate. We should have an update for you within 5 working days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OES

Thank you for coming back to me
I did get confirmation that my order was created via topcashback

Topcashback also confirmed that your Marketing Company had denied this to them!

I have tried to escalate the matter but have been stonewalled, asked to escalate the issue only to be told that although this will be escalated "I can confirm we are dealing with this as a complaint but as per my colleagues responses above there isn't anything further we can do"

Seems a complaint has no chance!

I received an email telling me about changes and saying I could leave if not happy without penalty. Just to ring you and say so.

Voting with my feet at least means I did something over the poor treatment I have had since joining (including internet getting cut off without any notice after disputing a wrong bill you proposed to take by direct debit despite my protestations it was wrong! You did take the wrong amount, I used the Bank to get a refund, You wrongly took revenge by cutting me off - Which you eventually agreed!)

So I did ring the number to be told I would lose my line rental paid in advance but unused yet (balance of annual payment) and my next bill will go up as all discounts are now off my account because I wanted to leave!

I asked for confirmation of all this only to receive an email confirming me leaving and the agent was unable to retain me!!

mingkong1266

Hi Gandalf,

It's great to see PlusNet staff being active in these forums to support the customers for a change (compared to 99% of the other companies out there who couldn't care less). I am also in the same shoes as the other users in this topic and have had my £70 Topcashback claim rejected/declined with the reason that PlusNet didn't honour it with no further explanation provided. I have screenshots if required of my topcashback account claim and their responses which all point to PlusNet and not themselves; they even said the order tracked successfully which I find baffling!

Looking forward to any assistance you could provide; my greatest gratitude.

Mingkong1266

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the really long delay in getting back to you @OES

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do, because we approved your cashback to TopCashBack. I'm afraid that the responsibility lies with them to pay you as you created your account through the affiliate.

With regards to the billing issue you've experienced from looking at your account I believe this has been resolved?

@mingkong1266, thanks for contacting us about this. From what I can see your account is definitely tracking as an affiliate sale so I'm unsure why we've declined it. I've raised this with our marketing team and I'll post back when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@mingkong1266, I've discussed this with one of my colleagues in our marketing team and I can confirm that we've definitely approved the cashback.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to go back to TopCashback to raise another claim with them to pay you the money.

We've sent an email over to them but it may be quicker if you do it from your side.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mingkong1266

@Gandalf Many thanks for getting back to me Gandalf, I have just been in contact with TopCashBack who have also posted their "final" response attached to the mentioned claim. Their response leaves me baffled as both parties are denying responsibility of what's happened:

"I'm sorry to see that your claim has gone on to be declined. As the decline reason provided is an invariably solid reason, which the retailer will be standing by, we will not be able to overturn this decision. This means that unfortunately we will have to stand by the retailers decision as stated in our Terms and Conditions."

I don't know what else can be done from my end anymore...Any advice or assistance in reclaiming would be greatly appreciated Gandalf; as it seems I am unfairly losing out =(

MingKong1266

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. I've gone back to our marketing team and discussed this further. Whilst we appreciate your position, we've paid the commission for the sale to TopCashback so it would ultimately fall down to them to investigate further and pay you the cashback. 

While this may seem like passing the buck, unfortunately for affiliates like TopCashback (And Quidco), your cashback relationship isn't with us but with TopCashback themselves, which you chose to use under their terms and conditions. 

I'm sorry that this isn't better news and not what you want to hear.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OES

Thank you for coming back to me

This whole business should be of great concern to PlusNet!

PlusNet answer by saying we have to confirmed to Topcashback you came via them, and the customer must take it up with Topcashback.

I have done this

Topcashback's response to being told this is:"We have not received any communication or cashback from this merchant to indicate this claim has been approved. Unfortunately we will b e standing by the decline decision of the PlusNet chosen affiliate network

Please can you check again that you have paid this and to whom

Thank you

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @OES 

As was confirmed on this ticket i can confirm that we approved your cashback to Top Cash Back. 

As has been sad before I'm really sorry if they are saying different or you have has difficulty in dealing with the regarding it - however we have no fresh information to provide on this I'm afraid. 

- thanks 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It does appear that in this case you are in a deadly embrace between Plusnet and TopCashback.

You may need to consider making a claim in the small claims court to get some independent arbitration.  The tricky bit will be in deciding which of the two you will address the claim to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mingkong1266

No worries PlusNet CS team, thanks again for your hardwork and follow up. I would much prefer to believe your side of the story than TopCashBack's tbh as they've declined a few of my claims for other retailers too for bizarre explainable reasons. Nevertheless I am enjoying my service with PlusNet so I'll see it as an unfortunate mishap with the cashback and move on 😃 All the best!

Mingkong1266 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It really does not help anyone there being multiple cashback schemes - from different affiliates / referrers - some paid by PlusNET direct - others by the affiliate - some paid through an affiliate account - some by cheque - others by a plastic card of some description.

The problem is that people are drawn in by such marketing gimmicks, so retailers find they need to do these silly deals rather than simply offering a straight forward good competitive deal.

Which would you rather pay..,

£5pcm or £10pcm with £60 cashback? At the end of the year they are no different except the former does not have the attention grabbing CASHBACK. Cashback is in effect a short term loan you pay back during the life of the contract.

Marketing seem to believe most people find the latter more attractive. Personally I think it’s madness - cashback adds complexity, adds untold costs and brings a lot of potential to disappoint by not fulfilling expectations.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.