cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali being obstructive over issueing a MAC key

juliasdream
Grafter

Tiscali being obstructive over issueing a MAC key

I have persuaded someone to switch from Tiscali to Plusnet and they have since been trying to get a MAC key in order to migrate.
They have called tiscali numerous times and never get a straight response. They just want the key without Tiscali's hard sell tactics trying to get them to stay.
When they insist they are told that they are being transferred and each time the line goes dead and they get no one
Sometimes they are holding on for up to an hour just to talk to someone
Finally they emailed Tiscali asking for the key. The response was that they had to order it by phone and not by email
They just want to be shot of Tiscali and Tiscali wont let them go.
Is there not an organization similar to Oftel but for internet to whom they could lodge a complaint?
Is there anything Plusnet can do?
I can't believe that Tiscali can be allowed to get away with such tactics
8 REPLIES 8
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Tiscali being obstructive over issueing a MAC key

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do.
Whilst we can gladly complete the process once the key is obtained, it can only be obtained and issued by the losing ISP.
Has your friend tried talking to a manager from the off and avoid what obviously looks like obstruction?
They have 5 working days to issue it from the original request and if it has already reached that, advise them of this.
They also have to provide at least 2 means of obtaining a MAC, which can include post, telephone and electronic means (such as email, or something like our ticket system).
Ask them which means they provide other than the phone and make use of it.
Write to them and send it via recorded delivery. Make it clear in it the date of the original request and thus if not already issued, by the time they receive and process the letter, their 5 days will more than likely be up.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

beano
Grafter

I recently had to ditch tiscali after months of terrible service.
http://nerd.steveferson.com/2007/11/30/driven-to-plusnet-by-awful-tiscali-service/
I don't know if it's what made the difference but I called immediately after 9:00 AM and got sorted within 10-15 minutes.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

According to the Tiscali Help files you can obtain a MAC Code from Tiscali by writing to:
Tiscali Mac Request
PO Box 57936
London
W4 5SQ
or by phoning the cancellations line on 0845 077 4488 (Lines are open 9am to 6pm Mon to Fri).
At least if you write to them at this address by Recorded Delivery you will have evidence to make a complaint in the future if they fail to provide a MAC within 5 working days.
robspragg

I have just managed to leave and am currently waiting to go live with plusnet.
The best way I found to get through to them was to complain through ISPA.org,  Using this I even got out of the 12months minimum term.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Well done Rob...an excellent move Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

That looks like a very useful link... Perhaps the moderators could put that in a "useful link" file to refer other "complainants" to.  It needs to be kept for all PlusNet staff so that they can advise potential customers, as and when it occurs.
Perhaps the "referrals manager" should have it on his desk for a couple of weeks
Mark
Grafter

Perhaps the "referrals manager" should have it on his desk for a couple of weeks

He already does, as do the Retentions team Smiley