cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to say goodbye, but i have a few questions first please

Cyrus

Time to say goodbye, but i have a few questions first please

Hi
The time has come to say goodbye to plusnet, i have been a customer for years on and off (due to house moves).
I have seen a really good offer at BT for Fibre (currently on ADSL 2 with PN).
I started this latest contract with PN on 11 Jun 2014, so im now out of my 12 month contract with them.
Whats the best way to transfer my line and phone number with minimal disruptions?
Whens the best time to do it? (Next payment to PN is on the 18th)
BT have already said i can transfer my phone number to them. Do i need to inform plusnet i intend to leave?
Many thanks in Advance
6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Time to say goodbye, but i have a few questions first please

Do not tell Plusnet you are leaving, that only causes headaches.
Your new provider will arrange every thing for you.
There is a minimum of 2 working weeks between signing up for a new provider and them being able to switch you (OFCOM rules to prevent slamming -moving providers without permission).
It is nearly impossible to time the change so you will probably end up having to wait for Plusnet to refund you after the swap takes place for unused days.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

You don't need to call us if you're leaving, however if you'd be interested in what we could offer on a fibre package, feel free to give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 and select the option for thinking of leaving.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Cyrus

Hi
Thanks for the replies, i have already spoken to someone via chat, who was very helpful and took the time to explain what PN could offer with Fibre.
But still BT current offer works out cheaper for 12 months, even with the £57 one off activation costs BT will charge.
BT have said it would be about 2 weeks so that's ok.
maybe I will take the dive later this weekend.
Cheers
SteadVex
Grafter

not sure if your aware but BT are currently offering a £100 pre paid master card, and over £100 cashback through top cashback, the £100 card is only till Jan 14th mind
combined with the 12 month 'deal' it means you can get fibre for less than £200 for the year (provided the cashback and card turn up), to me its madness as I'll only be switching after 12 months anyway to another provider that does some stupid deal, surely it makes sense to keep customers?, but I won't complain for now...

mind you, the day I'm offered a retention deal without jumping through hoops will be the same day my car insurance automatic renewal is dropped, or actually rewards you for being loyal without spending 2 hours on the phone
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

it may be cheaper over 12 months but you should take into the total cost over the minimum term, factoring in everything from line rental, call packages caller id costs, 1571 costs 1471 costs and so on for the duration of the minimum term.
Introductory offers from the likes of BT/Talk Talk/Plusnet etc may seem like a good offer, but once you add the total cost for the minimum term up things often look very different
It would also be helpful to others to list as to why/how much cheaper your new/chosen provider (BT) is over the course of the minimum term
a quick look shows these prices for BT with the £100 pre paid card taken into account, excluding any 'cashback' deal
38meg fibre, unlimited use £10/month
Line rental £17.99/month ( line rental saver equivalent £16.19/month)
activation £49
voice call package unlimited £7.95  evenings £3.20
caller display 1.75
1571 £1.75
Total cost over 12 months £522.28 ( with anytime calls+call id+1571) with prepaid card £422.28 = £35.19 per month
With Line rental saver £33.56
without the prepaid card prices will be £8.34 a month higher
with LRS but no call packages £30.28/month

SteadVex
Grafter

all things considered, i am only taking the fibre and line rental, total cost for me excluding any cashback deals is £385.38, as (i imagine most people nowadays) i do not use my landline, the only calls i receive are junk calls, and my mobile for £12 a month covers me with 'unlimited' calls, 2000 minutes but to me that is unlimited since i tend to use less than a 100, i know my phone is probably higher priced than it needs ot be, but at the time of renewal it was good  Undecided I haven't taken the lower line rental just as I've had a lot of out goings recently, and didn't want another chunk of money, considering the savings over the year it didn't seem worth the risk of going overdrawn for me
so considering cashback, and the prepaid card that's £170.38 for the year, it might end up costing me a £1 more, but i'm still better off by £100 even if only one of the 2 incentives come through, which is a lot better than i can get with a savings account  Grin and only a £1 lost which is half a lottery ticket if it doesn't
mav:quote