cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The only way Plusnet can help me is to close my account and open another - losing my e-mail address.

FIXED
GDD1000
Dabbler

The only way Plusnet can help me is to close my account and open another - losing my e-mail address.

We've been with Plusnet since 2012.  We were problem free until we moved house in 2019 then all hell broke loose.  Eventually (I thought) all the problems were resolved and we got restoration of phone and fibre broadband.  We were given a few free months of service as compensation.

Then, some days ago I received an e-mail informing me I was out of contract and my monthly fee would virtually double if I didn't take a new package.  No worries on that score because what was available was better than what we've got. 

Then I ran into trouble.  I couldn't upgrade my package because the landline end of it couldn't be changed.  I phoned customer service.  That enquiry came to nothing when the advisor failed to phone me back - at all.

Today I phoned again.  I was on the phone for around an hour being passed between pillar and post.  The upshot of it all is this:

I don't have a phone service with Plusnet, even though I'm using it to call them, and to have it added back to my account means they have to close me down and open another - with the loss of my username and e-mail addresses.  I find that unacceptable.

There is no fault attributable to me here.  All of this stems back to the fiasco surrounding the transfer of services from one house to another.  It seems however that when Plusnet are at fault, the customer is the one to suffer. 

At the moment I've requested my complaint to be escalated but I've been told, very firmly, that no matter how high I go in the food chain this can't be resolved any other way.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: The only way Plusnet can help me is to close my account and open another - losing my e-mail a...

Fix

Thanks for your post @GDD1000 and welcome to our community forums.

I'm really sorry for the issues you've had.

I can confirm that we are able to retain your emails and username if we need to create a new account, although you would get a new username for your broadband and phone service, while keeping your original username for your emails.

However looking at your account I believe I can fix the problem without going down that path. 

Due to the way our systems work I can't fix the issue within a day, I'd need to split the work over two days (otherwise we'd cause a bigger system issue). If you can leave this with me, I'll follow things up with you on Monday.

Don't worry about your monthly cost for now, we can look into that once everything's sorted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GDD1000
Dabbler

Re: The only way Plusnet can help me is to close my account and open another - losing my e-mail a...

Gandalf I am incredibly relieved to receive this information - thank you.  It's what I've been asking for but have been told up to team leader level that it isn't possible. 

I believe an investigation is necessary to find out why this vestigial issue still remains from my house mover on 27/09/2019.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @GDD1000 

No problem at all, I suspect there may have been a knowledge gap. In a lot of cases, unfortunately it isn't possible to fix however we could still have retained your email address either way.  Apologies this wasn't offered though.

Upon further investigation (earlier this afternoon actually, just had a chance to post back now) this is now fixed.

The issue was due to an adviser's error when processing your house move. The order reference with Openreach wasn't added on what we call "house move install diary" which meant that our systems didn't automatically update itself to reflect that your phone service was activated at your new address. 

It's not always possible to manually workaround this type of issue, because there are numerous factors to consider. However I was able remove your old phone details that were stuck in a deactive state and re-add your new phone details. 

If you log out and back in to your account, you should now see things a little differently. If you don't though, you may be seeing cached data, so I'd recommend clearing cache and cookies (or trying a web browser in private browsing mode)

I'm about to log off as my shift's finished for the weekend so I'll follow things up on Monday to make sure everything's sorted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GDD1000
Dabbler

I can't thank you enough Gandalf.  You see, it wasn't that I wasn't being offered the service you've carried out - I was insisting upon it but was being told NO!  So much so that I asked the issue to be raised to senior management level.

On reflection I think I need to raise a complaint here.  I know what started all of this off and I was assured it was resolved, over a year ago. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm happy to listen to your call on Monday and arrange for feedback to be passed on where appropriate.

I'll call you back after as well to make sure everything's OK and discuss a resolution to your complaint.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GDD1000
Dabbler

Thank you so much.  Please call after 1pm if that's possible?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to us @GDD1000

Anoush has gone home for the day but I've ensured your request has been passed along to him. 

Thanks.

Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As a general suggestion never be dependant on an email address owned by your ISP. You can buy a personal .uk or .me domain name for a few pounds a year, create as many email addresses as you like, and forward to your "actual" ISP mailbox, or to a free mail service such as Gmail or Outlook.com

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for your time on the phone @GDD1000 it was good to speak with you.

I'm sorry again for the experience you've had. I've listened to your call and I've arranged for feedback to be passed on with regards to the way it was handled. I'm happy I managed to get the problem sorted for you quickly.

I've added further details as discussed to your support ticket you can view and respond to by going Here.

Let me know if there are any further issues at all.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet