cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Relay rebate

clarer1

Text Relay rebate

Is anyone using TextRelay with a Plus phone account? Are you getting the correct rebate in cost of relay calls?
I have Plus broadband and am considering moving my phone provider from BT to Plus. But I sometimes use TextRelay and haven't been able to find any information about whether Plus supports the rebate we should receive for these calls. The TextRelay website (http://www.textrelay.org/what_it_costs.php) says
Due to the nature of Text Relay calls and typing speed, they can take longer than a voice call. For this reason, if you're deaf, hearing impaired or speech impaired, you should be able to get a refund for the text part of your calls. Please contact your provider for more details.

So I've tried "contacting my provider:" I can't find any information on the Plus website to confirm Plus has things set up to make the rebate automatically. I tried raising a question through the Help Assistant and I tried phoning customer service. Their reply: 
you would be charged for the 0870 number.

Huh? It's not an 0870 number. To make a call using TextRelay, I dial 18001 followed by the normal phone number. The relay operator intercepts the call and transcribes what the other person says so I can read it on my screen. Because that takes longer than a "normal" phone call, the telephone service provider is supposed to rebate the cost of the text part of the call. And I don't see what 0870 has to do with it.
Does anyone know whether Plus is set up to give the rebate automatically? If it isn't happening, then I'm thinking of shifting everything to BT or Sky who have got it set up.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Text Relay rebate

Hi, this is set up but it isn't something that our CSC know anything about due to it's rarity. I'll drop you a pm with some more info.
clarer1

Thanks for letting me know, Ben.
Although only a small proportion of us use Text Relay, surely it's such a straightforward question and answer it could be in your FAQ and in Customer Service's handbook? I spent ages searching your website, waiting for Customer Service to reply to my ticket, phoning for information and holding on while they checked. Only to be given the wrong information. Someone in a Facebook group suggested I ask Text Relay. They found the information on Sky's website that they refund and I already knew BT does. So I thought I'd give Plus another try and came to the forum. If it weren't for my persistence, I'd be signed up with BT or Sky by now.
All you need is a quesiton in the Phone section of your FAQ
eg Do Text Relay calls get a rebate for the text part of the call?
Yes, this is set up.
Clare
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds entirely fair, I'll kick things off on my side to see what information we should be including from a regulatory point of view and then get it added to the relevant pages
Thanks