cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible service from Plusnet

anglaterra

Terrible service from Plusnet

With our broadband contract about to expire and our address to change we sought to continue our business with Plusnet as up until that point we had always been satisfied with their service. We reached out to their sales team roughly 1.5 months prior to the move date and enquired about renewing the contract and moving the service to the new property. We were told that this was absolutely fine to do, and we agreed on a reasonable monthly price. During this call we were not once informed of any moving or installation charges.

We called again a couple of weeks later to confirm the move date, and were at that point informed of some unexpected charges, and that the price quoted for the new contract was incorrect, and it was in fact considerably greater. When we questioned how this had happened, we were informed that the member of staff who sold the new contract to us was not trained in "moving house", and we were mistakenly given insufficient information. Still, despite admitting their fault in that we were misguided into purchasing their product, they claim that we are still to pay moving and line installation fees.

We of course protested and enquired about cancellation, and we were quoted a cancellation fee of £172.00. We proactively made a number of phone calls to Plusnet to try to argue our case, each time we requested that notes be made on our file so that we didn’t have to explain our situation in full, each time, to a new member of staff, and despite being told that each of our 30+ minute calls (made by us at our own expense) to named members of staff were logged, none of the staff had made any notes. We were also told that we would be called back at certain times, but this did not happen and the onus was once again left upon us to get in touch. 

In the most recent phone call we asked to be passed through to a manager who simply gave us an ultimatum: pay the cancellation and leave, OR, pay both the moving and installation fees and stay. We were told that they could not see fault on either side (ours or theirs) yet we are still required to pay extra, after not being given the correct information. How can they expect us to accept this charge? During the same call, the manager told us that we "could have asked" about the extra charges, but how on Earth is the onus left on the customer to enquire about this? Surely it is the responsibility of the company to provide all relevant information when making a sale so that we know what we are buying.

Had we known there were going to be extra charges, we would have been able to make an informed decision about renewing our contract, or starting a new one at the new property. Despite knowing there was already a Virgin line in place in our new home, we wanted to continue with Plusnet and, from our phone call, it seemed like this would be easy. Now we know that this is not the case.

We were misled into buying a new contract with Plusnet and we have been treated unfairly throughout the process. As it is evident that Plusnet are not taking notes nor logging any information about our situation, and there is no official writing platform for us to record complaints, we have no idea if Plusnet is taking our case seriously. The process has been really frustrating and we have lost faith in the company. 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Terrible service from Plusnet

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and help. If not this is the next step. https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @anglaterra,

Welcome to the forums, although I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances. Because I wanted to make sure we tried to resolve this as quickly and painlessly as possible for you I've decided to listen to all the calls that have been made this evening to see if there's anything we've advised that was incorrect, because obviously if this is the case we need to make sure we put things right. I've made a list below of the calls and a very brief summary of the content - if you would like more in-depth details we can create a ticket on your account, or we can raise a request to get copies of them for you (or alternatively you can do this yourself via this link).

30th May (Ticket contact)

The discussion was a discussion of a new deal. There was no mention of any house move. A deal was offered and you asked if you could go away and think about it. 

30th May (Ticket contact

The discussion was to complete a renewal. There was no discussion or mention of moving premises. - This seems to be the call you're referring to from yesterday when you originally believe you mentioned moving - I've got a colleague to listen to this as well to make sure I didn't mishear anything and I'm sorry to say there definitely wasn't any mention of moving. 

18th June (Ticket contact) - There was a chat that was made online using our live chat service. At the moment I can't provide details of the content of this chat but I've submitted a request to get the transcript but this seems to be related to missing discounts. 

22nd July (ticket contact, ticket contact 2, ticket contact 3) - These were all related to the move discussions you had. This is the first time I can find any request or mention of moving premises on. Initially the call was with an agent who took the details and checked the state of the line at the new address and provided costings and a deal. This was the first discussion of the charges involved and you decided to go away and think about it, the agent offered to call you back later but you asked for that tomorrow (which would have been today). You called back later and discussed the matter with another agent and raised the matter that no costs were mentioned in moving premises so he tried to see if there was anything that could be done but the price/contract length wasn't satisfactory. 

We'll get back to you with the contents of the live chat as this might reveal something but as it stands the only conversations I can find where a house move was discussed were the ones from yesterday and this is where the cost of the install was also mentioned. I'd like to also mention that the longest call you experienced was yesterday when you raised the issue and the agent went to speak to his manager to see if there was anything that could be done for you - this was mainly due to hold time. Prior to that it was 11 minutes on 30th May when the recontract went through. There's been notes that have been left on the account (there are links above that will take you to notes). 

I'm really sorry to say, but I cannot find anything that correlates your main points of the complaint in your post. If you believe I've missed any calls or any chats (that haven't been logged on the account) I'd be happy to listen to this, if you can get us the dates and times and we'd be happy to reassess this and see if we can do anything regarding being providing misleading information.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@JOLO wrote:

We'll get back to you with the contents of the live chat

@anglaterra 

I've provided a copy of the chat transcript via the account Here.

However, I'm afraid it doesn't appear to discuss moving the services to a new address or any of the costs involved in doing so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
anglaterra

I have requested all the files and recordings using the link that you posted. When should we expect to receive these? As Plusnet have immediate access to them, can they be sent directly to my email address? 

The chat transcript was concerning a completely different matter so it is not relevant to this discussion. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @anglaterra.

It will normally take us up to one month to get back to you but could take longer (up to a further two months) if it's a complicated request or you send a lot of requests at once.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

anglaterra

How is it possible that a member of staff was able to access and listen to all the recordings yesterday evening, but we have to wait up to three months in order to hear them and argue our case? This is extremely troubling. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @anglaterra, thanks for getting back to us.

I can assure you that we're fully compliant under our GDPR 2018 obligations.

anglaterra

Thank you for your message. It is a shame that in this instance Plusnet are choosing to simply be compliant, rather than helping us resolve the issue more quickly. 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to us @anglaterra,

I am sorry its taking longer than you initially expected, however we are unable to speed this process up.

Thanks.