cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Termination charge even though will leave after contract ends?

seanhodges

Termination charge even though will leave after contract ends?

My Plusnet broadband contract ends 9th June. I signed up with TalkTalk for their 150Mb service, and they automatically notified Plusnet that they will take over the line on 20th July.

Plusnet immediately sent me an email saying (amongst other things) that there would be an early termination charge because I was leaving before the contract was up.

I presume it is all automated, and that if my line isn't transferred before 9th June I'll be fine. Just to be sure I tried to phone Plusnet, but the wait on the phone is forever and the online chat isn't active. Today I tried phoning and they just referred me here and cut the line.

Does anyone know if they will try to charge me a termination fee?

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Termination charge even though will leave after contract ends?

Im pretty sure that the automated email states the ETCs as though you were leaving on the date the email was sent, rather than the actual date of leaving. Daft isnt it !

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seanhodges

TalkTalk told me that leaving within the last 30 days of a contract was permitted without penalty anyway.
I reckon it must just be Plusnet hoping I’ll cancel my departure or something
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@seanhodges 

What many people forget is that you pay for line rental and broadband one month in advance anyway. So you have already paid for your last month of the contract.

You will probably find that on your billing date you will be charged for a full month despite you leaving part way through. You should then get a refund when your account is closed, This is not necessarily a bad thing because if the changeover is delayed and TT do things properly you should still stay connected to Plusnet until it's sorted.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @seanhodges, I've sent you an email to clarify the specifics of your account, but @Baldrick1 has pretty much noted how we'd work things regarding the way billing works with transfers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team