Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminating account or changing its name - cessation charge

Haydon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Terminating account or changing its name - cessation charge

There is a Plusnet account in my name at a property that I no longer live in. This is for a Plusnet phone line and fibre broadband. A person who does live there is paying for everything. That person now wishes either to put the account in her name, or to change provider, depending on what she finds available on the market.

Is there any way to do this without incurring any charges from Plusnet? The minimum term of the broadband contract is about to expire, but there is still the potential issue of the £30 cessation charge.

Does it make any difference whether the current occupant decides to remain with Plusnet or to move to a new provider? Does it make a difference whether the new provider will use the existing BT line?

I phoned Customer Services about this, and was told it was not possible to change the name on an account, but searching these forums, I found this thread that contradicts that.

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Terminating account or changing its name - cessation charge

One way would be for the present occupant to apply to BT (or any non LLU provider) to take over the phone and broadband in his name. If he goes LLU such as TalkTalk then the £30 cessation charge would apply but that may be a financially better option over the term of the contract

This would trigger an email from Plusnet advising that there is a transfer due to happen and if he does nothing the new account will be set up from the gaining supplier under the gaining provider led system

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@oldjim  -  but wouldn't PN just refuse the transfer since the account names would differ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Plusnet would have no idea as to the account name as the new account (BT as an example) wouldn't have any reference to the Plusnet account

All they would know is that a migration request has been made for phone and broadband - not who made it

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

...so PN are not told that Mr J Smith of 23 Anywhere St. is transferring his service(s)?  Just that BT are taking over the line ? Makes erroneous transfers easier.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

correct which is why the account holder is given the option to block it

Haydon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

@Oldjim wrote:

One way would be for the present occupant to apply to BT (or any non LLU provider) to take over the phone and broadband in his name. If he goes LLU such as TalkTalk then the £30 cessation charge would apply but that may be a financially better option over the term of the contract

This would trigger an email from Plusnet advising that there is a transfer due to happen and if he does nothing the new account will be set up from the gaining supplier under the gaining provider led system

Thank you. That seems very straightforward, but these days one always expects to get ambushed by something!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It might be worth discussing this with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 as they deal with retentions and also sales.

Other than that, there's not much I can add on to what Oldjim has said.

davidj66 wrote:
Just that BT are taking over the line ? Makes erroneous transfers easier.

I believe this is part of the reasoning behind the minimum 10 working day notice we (And other providers) have to give when taking over a service.

During this time, the customer should be notified another provider is taking over the service and after a certain time period, if the customer isn't able to get the new provider to stop the orders (In line with the gaining provider lead migration process) we would be able to cancel the order if requested by our customer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet