cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminating Contract Early Following Price Change

boriel1995

Terminating Contract Early Following Price Change

Hi All,

I am currently tied into a Unlimited Fibre Broadband contract at £24.99 a month, I have just seen the notification that the prices will be increasing on 5/6/18 by £1 a month.

I have also just received a quote of approximately £90 as an early termination fee due to unforeseen circumstances.

Am I right in saying that if a broadband provider raises its prices mid-way through the contract period, I can exit the contract without having to pay a termination fee?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Smiley

15 REPLIES 15
plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Re: Terminating Contract Early Following Price Change

Hi boriel1995. I will be interested to hear the reply to your question as I have just re-contracted with PlusNet and already know about the £1.00 price rise coming  in June and have factored that into my monthly cost. But I have also asked about whether I can leave my 24 month contract if other price rises happen after this date reflecting on mid-way price rises that may be announced which allow customers to leave within a notice period once contacted about any pricing rises. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving us. That's correct. If you let us know you would like to leave because of the price refresh communication within 30 days of receiving the e-mail, then we'd allow you to leave your contract penalty-free.

I've updated this ticket on your account which I hope resolves this for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Gandalf, is the £30 cease fee still applicable if cancelling/non-migration route taken?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As the cessation fee doesn't form part of the actual contract it is applicable if the broadband service isn't migrated to another provider that uses BT Wholesale equipment at the exchange.

On this occasion, I've waived the cessation fee as I've advised them there'd be no fees to cancel.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks for clarifying @Gandalf.  I thought there would be, and I'm sure the same question will come up several times over the next month or so

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi boriel1995.

You must state when you cancel your contract that the reason you are leaving is because of the price increase you may get the hard sell to stay.

Also if you have paid for the line rental in advance you should have the remaining refunded I did when I left BT 

Brian A

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is this a general price increase (for all exisiting customers)?  Reason for asking is I haven't seen or heard anything about a price rise.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

thearmydee
Dabbler

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi boriel1995.

You must state when you cancel your contract that the reason you are leaving is because of the price increase you may get the hard sell to stay.

Also if you have paid for the line rental in advance you should have the remaining refunded I did when I left BT 

Brian A

Excellent - this is very helpful to know. I also paid the line rental upfront, good to know that it will be refunded. Thumbs_Up

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

*sigh* I'm getting heartily sick of agreeing to a 2 yr contact and having to speak to retentions every 10mths or so to agree to another 2yrs.

Will be interesting to see what is offered this year. Really is time to look around.

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Same here Mayfly although I`ve always had 12 month contracts but agreed to 24 months this time, but even after the £1.00 price rise in June, I will only be saving 2p on what I paid all of last year! So I haven't left myself much `wiggle` room for negotiations at all. Or I should say, I wasn`t given any. Sad So I`m just hoping PlusNet don`t announce another price rise later this year or into next year because I feel I`m paying what I can afford at the moment (£26 a month unlimited BB and line). I could get this for around £20 a month as a new customer elsewhere, but opted to stay with PlusNet due to the good service I`ve had, so that was a deciding factor for me. But only just. 

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

How long before we all get 'the email'?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@w23

We're sending the e-mails out in batches so if you haven't received it yet it should arrive shortly.

I've also just replied to your topic over here

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@plusmouse how did you contact them? I used web chat telling them I was considering leaving. I looked online first using a comparison site to see what the current cheapest deal was from other providers for my package which was £28 from NOW TV Broadband. The agent then said he was willing to speak to his manager to see if they could do a price match it. They couldn't match the price but did manage to offer me it at £30 per month for Unlimited Fibre(40/10), anytime calls and landline was also given the option of taking a 12 month contract or 18 month one. I was paying £35 a month for this package so have managed to cut £60 a year off the costs. Best thing to do is check what other providers are charging for the same package and ask plusnet if they will match if they don't refuse their offer and try again with another agent.