cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporarily leaving Plusnet, can I keep referral credits?

snj
Grafter

Re: Temporarily leaving Plusnet, can I keep referral credits?

Hi, thanks for the information, so a downgrade to Justmail is what we need.  Will the customer services reps. on the phone definitely know about this or do I need to ask one of you nice peeps directly? 🙂
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It should be fine if you request it from them, though as it's recorded here we'll happily check on things if you could let us know when it's due to happen Smiley
snj
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
Well we just spoke to them, line cease is due tomorrow and they've arranged to downgrade to Justmail.  Apparently this will cost £1.69 a month and we'll lose the referrals.  We didn't argue, but hopefully the referrals will continue.
Username is <snip>
Thanks,
Simon
jim:green username removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For Goodness Sake can you please sort this out - I have seen so many conflicting statements on this it is ridiculous
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right. Definitively.
When you cancel but would like to keep email/referrals active, internal best practices state that you should be moved to the Justmail account. This should cost £1.69 a month.
However, we've seen a few cases where this doesn't charge. Now, we don't know how widespread this is because understandably people don't always report it in. This isn't a major problem for us so we're not overly worried.
Now, there is also the old free dialup account. This *should not* be used, it's kept for internal use, bugfixing and testing etc (and also as a quick way of signing up test accounts etc). In some cases this has been used and a blind eye turned, but as I said, it shouldn't be.
Edit to add (as this is supposed to be the definitive answer):
If you want to keep your referrals (and why shouldn't you) but aren't bothered about the mail, we will use the above pay as you go dial up account which is free. The mail component will be removed from the account in this case.
I hope this clears things up Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Scream_ZTR
Quote from: acr
If so, why do you say it does not have a subscription fee when a fee of £20 a year is quoted.

When I have ever changed customers to this package recently it has never had a subscription fee. This used to be charged for, but this is no longer the case. 
I'm going to flag that section of the website to someone who can fix that charge, as this incorrect.
Smiley
Is definitely no longer the case.
So if a user decides to leave but doesn't require emails then any referrals are no longer paid.
Which implies that referrals will in future only be paid to people with an active account - either a full account or a paid for email account
EDIT - Previous post has been amended so the comment is no longer valid
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And what about existing customers who may want an additional dial-up account for whatever reason? You haven't got rid of dial-up and quite a few people use it when away from base.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Oldjim
So if a user decides to leave but doesn't require emails then any referrals are no longer paid.
Which implies that referrals will in future only be paid to people with an active account - either a full account or a paid for email account

Apologies, I've edited the above (allegedly definitive Wink ) post to include an answer for the above, which is 'yes you can keep your referrals'.
Quote from: Anotherone
And what about existing customers who may want an additional dial-up account for whatever reason? You haven't got rid of dial-up and quite a few people use it when away from base.

Dial up accounts aren't offered any more, as I said the account is available internally but we've withdrawn it from sale. I daresay if it was essential we would review requests for this on a case by case basis, but no promises on that score.