cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching provider under a different account name.

thebadman
Dabbler

Switching provider under a different account name.

Hi, my contract with Plusnet runs out on January 14th and the contract is in my name. My dad wants to switch to sky broadband under his sky account and name when the contract ends.

Normally when you switch provider you do not have to contact your previous provider as the new broadband company does that for you and takes over the line.

Will I need to contact Plusnet to tell them I want to end their service (but not cease the service) or will sky under a different name (my dad's) do that for me and I do not have to contact Plusnet? My dad has told me sky has said they can't do that as the Plusnet account is in my name?
3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Switching provider under a different account name.

@thebadman 

You let the new ISP sort out the paperwork for the move - you don't tell PN.

PN can't transfer your account to anyone else. If you go with Sky your account will close with the transfer. You'll lose e-mail and any other add ons you may have.

Note you will also loose your phone line - if you want a service it'll be VOIP (if SKy offer that).

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@thebadman  May need a bit more information here or I may not be understanding what you are trying to do . Assuming you and your father are at the same address and his Sky account is just TV,  I see no reason why he cannot take over the line and have Broadband added to the account. Sky's comment about the name being the problem makes no sense.   Anyone moving house can order a service at the new address and cease the existing service, the name on the existing account just doesn't matter.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Account Billing 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'