cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Talktalk - a question

redkite2

Switching from Talktalk - a question

I've just signed up through the MSE website, and because my phone needs to be switched I was advised during the sign-up that it would be 2-3 weeks before the switch was complete.
Thing is, my Talktalk package expires this week unless I renew it (actually line rental and broadband as 2 separate services but both contracts are up at the same time) .  Renewing it would presumably imply that I don't want to join Plusnet and so my sign-up would be cancelled. So it looks like I'll have no phone/broadband for a couple of weeks.
My question is whether this will affect the switch to plusnet as by the time that takes place the line will be dead and not an active connection.  Is that correct and/or is there a way to avoid this?
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Switching from Talktalk - a question

Intriguing one this.
If your TalkTalk connection is, as seems likely, an LLU one (using TT's own equipment in the exchange) it's probably not going to make a massive difference technically so won't delay anything significantly.
Financially you'll probably be hit with a provisioning charge for an new line, but I'll defer to those more knowledgeable on that.
Precise timings of order placements will probably be critical.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Other posters on these fora have been able to ring up the loosing provider and get a sensible transfer. But with TalkTalk maybe not!  Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: redkite2
Thing is, my Talktalk package expires this week unless I renew it (actually line rental and broadband as 2 separate services but both contracts are up at the same time) . 

Why would you have to renew it?
Contracts are for a minimum term of 12/18 months and you are tied in for that length of time. However they don't just stop - they continue on a rolling basis until you cancel/leave.
redkite2

Quote from: jem16
Why would you have to renew it?
Contracts are for a minimum term of 12/18 months and you are tied in for that length of time. However they don't just stop - they continue on a rolling basis until you cancel/leave.

I think this is so, but I can't find out on the TT website what the T&C's are. I'll ring them tomorrow as I assume I need to give 30 day notice to leave.
jem16
Grafter

I wouldn't phone them as this will very likely cause issues.
Utilities contracts never have a 12 month contract and then simply stop - that's more for Insurance policies. If there is a 30 day cancellation period then all that would happen is that you have to pay for those 30 days.
Leave it to PlusNet to handle the changeover and it should be seamless. TalkTalk will continue to supply you until the day of changeover - phone/BB might be down for around 30 minutes whilst the equipment is changed at the exchange but that's it.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Terms here:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/terms/talktalk-product-terms.html
Note clause 1.4 and sections 10 and 11
Duration
1.4 The Services, for which you enter a Contract, will start on the Commencement Date and will continue until terminated in accordance with clause 10 of these Conditions. Your Contract may also be subject to a Minimum Period, but we will tell you what this is before you sign up.

Once the minimum period is up you are free to leave without penalty as long as you give the required notice.  The contract continues on the same terms as you originally signed up.
redkite2

Ok thanks both.  I had - eventually - found the T&C's and was reading through them when you replied.
The relevant bit:
11.4.1 to end the Call Service, you must tell us in writing 15 days in advance of leaving us.
11.4.2 to end the Broadband Service you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us;
11.4.4 to end the LR Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us. However, if you are leaving us to go to another telephone company, we will consider that you have given appropriate notice as soon as we receive notice from your new provider. In other words, you will not be required to give us 30 days written notice in this instance.