cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Plusnet but Vodafone not informed

simonpplf
Grafter

Switched to Plusnet but Vodafone not informed

I was expecting a final bill today from Vodafone having switched to plusnet last month but they are still billing me. I called them up and they claim that I should have called to cancel.

I thought OFCOM rules meant it all happened automatically ? I've had to give them 30 days notice to cancel today. Who is at fault here ? Should Vodafone refund me from when the line was actially taken over  and should I cancel the direct debit ?

I thought that buy signing up with plusnet I gave them permission to cancel vodafone, obviously the service is provided by one company of the other.

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Switched to Plusnet but Vodafone not informed

You're correct in that there is no need to cancel with your existing supplier, in fact cancelling can actually cause problems. However, Plusnet do not contact Vodafone directly, in fact they cant under Ofcom rules. What happens is that Plusnet raise an order with BT Wholesale/Openreach and it is they who inform your existing supplier, since only they have access to the details of who is the existing supplier. Almost certainly BT Openreach WILL have contacted Vodafone since the system for doing this is automatic. I suspect Vodafone have 'lost' the notification in their systems and they are being a bit 'economical with the truth'.

I'm sure Plusnet will provide details of when the order to transfer was placed and when it completed which you can then present to Vodafone. As you correctly say, only one company can be supplying the service at a time. If they still insist they were supplying then raise a formal complaint with them. You could also inform Ofcom but they are pretty useless and dont handle individual complaints.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simonpplf
Grafter

ok thanks for that misterw it does seem that Vodafone are obviously at fault here then confirmed  from what you say. 

I had to go through 3 different Vodafone reps. and it seems to me they were relying on the small print at the bottom of the price rise notification to get people to call them, i.e. purposfully ignoring OFCOM rules.

Calling Vodafone is in fact a nightmare, the first rep was Indian and passed me over to another who claimed I had a 'self managing account' and finally got through to non-clown in billing who still basically refused to  sort it out, but managed to cancel it ! Why do I need to give notice to cancel somthing that should have been canceled already .Disgusting service IMHO when they are clealy at fault.

I think they are a victim of being the oldest and biggest mobile network their IT systems are a mess IMHO reliant on inertia effect of customer not wanting the hassle of leaving I guess.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you talking about phone and broadband or mobile services?

And have you kept your phone number is landline?

simonpplf
Grafter

I'm talking abot the broadband and phone number is the same.

I do have a separate  Vodafone PAYG mobile, that was a story in itself I spent a good couple of hours trying to get Vodfone reps. to untangle my mobile/ broadband logins ! including setting my usename to my email so I couldn't log in to either LOL their systems are a total mess unless you just want to keep giving them money.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Then they have no excuse, and no right to demand 30 days notice from when you contacted them - although their T&C's may require that from the time PN request the takeover.

They should also have informed you of the intended takeover, so I wold be asking why that did not happen, and include that in your formal complaint to their MD.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@simonpplf 

Calling Vodafone is in fact a nightmare,

Tell me about it!. I had the misfortune to have to deal with them in May last year when we moved offices. We had two lines at the old office with bb and phone, one with VF and one with Zen. During the move we had access to both offices for a month, so we moved the Zen line first to the new office, no problem. Then once we'd moved to the new office I requested VF move the existing bb and phone, but since there was only one existing line there, I told VF they would need to arrange a new line install. The first two attempts to get them to do it, just seem to go nowhere, they cancelled at the old office but did nothing to install at the new. Eventually having made more calls to them they actually did something. Only problem was, they tried to take over the working Zen line (twice!) despite being told we needed a new line ( and never been given the active Zen number ). Completely incompetent!. After the second takeover attempt I told them we wanted nothing further to do with them and went with another supplier...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simonpplf
Grafter

perhaps I might have grounds for compensation then if I log a formal complaint now, worth a try. perhaps the only thiing VF understand ? cheers

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @simonpplf

Here's the confirmation that we provided the relevant migration details at the point of your order:

Service Notice: SN439635689

Raised: 16/11/19 10:16by: <username redacted>(User via portal)

This ADSL account is migrating from another ISP and will be migrated automatically . Following are the migration details
1. MAC code : <redacted>
2. Current BT product :
3. Requested migration date : 2 Dec 2019
4. Current ISP : not provided by customer

As you can see, as far as we're aware, your current provider will have received these details and been asked to close your account accordingly.

Thanks

Dave

simonpplf
Grafter

Thanks for that. I've already done the complaint on vodafone's web page but if they do persist I shall point them here !

You wouldn't expect SSE to try and bill you for gas once you'd switched to eon that's my analogy ? Not sure how it works for mobiles perhaps that's why it's such a confusion for them.

simonpplf
Grafter

I think your experience only goes to show that Vodafone are not really properly set up for Broadband retail. The staff seem to begrudge even talking about broadband. They are happy to grab other providers customers and plonk the order over to openreach, clearly the 'support' and billing side of things relies on their existing business infrastructure and glossy marketing.

Probably there aren't a lot of ways they can cut costs to compete these days, clearly when you have to talk to 3 customer reps and still get no where I wouldn't think their jobs aren't particularly secure, if they ever manage to get on top of their IT problems or overtopple the money mad marketing men in charge.  

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @simonpplf,

We are sorry to read of the experience you are having with your previous provider and I hope you get the issue resolved.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team