cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to EE on 27th, being billed for 28th onwards

beffbug
Hooked

Switched to EE on 27th, being billed for 28th onwards

Hi! I switched my broadband and phone service to EE yesterday 27th July, my Plusnet was turned off as planned. However, I've received a full bill today for the period beginning 28th July (not a cancellation fee - my contract ended yesterday), and apparently payment is being taken on this Wednesday 1st. I spoke to an advisor on the phone who suggested I cancel the direct debit (but I've thought afterwards that if I do that and Plusnet still request it, I'll get a bad mark against my credit rating for a failed direct debit), or wait a week and then if it's taken out of my bank I can ring again for a refund. I was on hold for half an hour today and would rather not do that again to get the money back in a week - can the invoice (#103847221) just have a pause or something put on it until the 'offline team' (who work Monday-Friday and I'm not allowed to speak to anyway apparently) sort it out please? The advisor did say today that my account was noted as closed on 27th and that the bill from the 28th has just been auto-generated. I hope this can be resolved - seems silly having to wait and chase it up later when both me and Plusnet customer service have already seen the problem! Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Switched to EE on 27th, being billed for 28th onwards

The billing process will have commenced a few days earlier when you were still a PN customer.  I don't know whether this is the case with all ISPs/companies or just those with an ancient billing system like PN.  What will probably happen is that the DD will be honoured by your bank, then - and you may have to remind them - PN will refund the overcharge to you within something like ten working days.  This can cause problems for people on a low income, and is a nuisance for others.

When my last service with PN ended on 22nd May, the money I had overpaid was credited my bank account on 5th June which is 14 calendar days (nine working days since there was a bank holiday).

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @beffbug,

I'm sorry that you've been sent another monthly bill and for any inconvenience that this has caused. It looks like the bill was generated before your services have moved to a new provider.

In order to minimise the inconvenience to yourself, I have written off the outstanding bill now and have fully closed down your Plusnet account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
beffbug
Hooked

Hi again Emily,

I'm having a nightmare - this isn't fixed at all! I see you closed my account and cancelled the direct debit from your end, but Plusnet have still tried to take it and now I've got a 'failed direct debit' email! What's going on?! This will show up on my credit file as a black mark surely, and it's not in any way my fault, I didn't even cancel the direct debit! I'm waiting on the phone now, but it's another 20 minute wait on hold and I'm absolutely furious!

I need this sorting out asap please so it doesn't show up on my credit file - I can't have this ruining mortgage applications etc!

Please help!

Beth

beffbug
Hooked

Hi again,

I've now spoken with [CSA Removed] at customer services who says that it's all definitely all Plusnet's error and that I should ignore the messages because my account is definitely cancelled and I definitely don't owe anything, but I'm still really worried about the 'failed direct debit'.

Does this get reported as a black mark on my credit file even though it's not in any way my error? Or will it not be reported because Plusnet know it's not my fault (or at least everybody I speak to at Plusnet except whoever keeps sending me these emails does 😞  )

Do I need to do anything about it? I'm really worried that this will impact future applications for credit. Can anybody at Plusnet reassure me about this?

Thank you ,

Beth

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

beffbug
Hooked

I'm hoping that because I don't actually owe any money and haven't done anything wrong that the failed direct debit  (which Plusnet cancelled because I'm not a customer anymore and don't owe them anything anyway!!) won't be reported to credit agencies... But if Plusnet are still trying to take money out of my bank then somebody at Plusnet clearly thinks I owe them money even though everybody I speak to in customer services confirms that I don't!

Sorry for multiple posts, am really worried about this 😞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Beth.

Apologies for the concern caused by the automated emails. As your account is closed you shouldn't receive any more.

As we don't credit check you for home phone or broadband accounts your credit rating won't be affected.

I hope this helps but please let us know if you have any further queries or concerns.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet