cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from ADSL to Broadband fibre to copper. Billing query

JeremyP99
Grafter

Switch from ADSL to Broadband fibre to copper. Billing query

Currently we pay c£40pm for ADSL, landline & mobile. No TV. We're thinking of moving to broadband, tho' our area is fibre to the cabinet then copper so not full broadband. 

A) what speeds might we see? I use the speedtest.net desktop app, and id we get double figures regularly we are doing well. Streaming is patchy at best. 

B) If we gave up the landline, which we hardly use, we'd still need it for broadband. Would we still be charged the rental? 

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Switch from ADSL to Broadband fibre to copper. Billing query

Put your phone number in the following and it'll give an indication of available speeds.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

The phone line is needed for FTTC

Brian

JeremyP99
Grafter

Thanks - and yes, I realise the phone line is needed, but under the circs, we only need it as Plusnet do not provide fibre to the front door. Hence my wondering whether we will have a line rental for the line, even if only used for an internet connection. 

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

You'd still have to pay line rental as the line is still used for FTTC. Plusnet FTTP is only available on the trial and only if FTTP is showing available as a 1 or 2 stage install on dslchecker. From the sounds of it that's not the case.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The bulk of the cost is in providing the line - not the phone services which are provided over it therefore you have to pay!!!

OpenReach are trialling a product (called SOGEA I think) which is a "bare bones" line (no phone service allowed) but it's not expected to lead to any significant reductions in the cost of a line.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Post deleted by RealAleMadrid

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

A) what speeds might we see? I use the speedtest.net desktop app, and id we get double figures regularly we are doing well. Streaming is patchy at best. 

Your speed estimates for fibre are between 45.7mbps to 66.5mbps so would be a big step up if you go for Unlimited Fibre Extra, though 38-40mbps on the basic Unlimited Fibre package should be pretty nice too.

B) If we gave up the landline, which we hardly use, we'd still need it for broadband. Would we still be charged the rental?

Unfortunately so. Our fibre (FTTC) offers do generally include the £18.99 line rental.

Hope this helps. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet