cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange way of doing business - Plusnet

nemo1966
Dabbler

Strange way of doing business - Plusnet

Just noticed my account charged £41-00 on direct debit. Looked into it and noticed I just came off contract. No notice, no reminder.

Tried ringing gave up after 30 mins - chat module says it won't work because I am using ad blocking (even though I am not). No email address to use... no deals on my account.

So I have a choice, pay £13.00 a month over the odds or move, looks like Sky or BT will be getting my business now then. BT are offering a £80 cashback card - that will cover the extra money Plusnet have been charging me 😎

Oh yes and then I have 2 mobile phone accounts - they finish in a week or two, triple whammy!!!

Is it me or is that a very strange business model?

8 REPLIES 8
Armin_Tamzarian
Grafter

Re: Strange way of doing business - Plusnet

@nemo1966 

No - it's not just you: The way Plusnet conduct their billing is very odd.

At the end of April 2019, I started an 18 month contract and paid the line rental up-front: Line Saver Rental £10.99 pcm x 18 months =  £197.82.  They applied a credit of this amount to my account but - instead of reducing my LSR balance by £10.99 each month - they used it to pay for other stuff: Call charges, BT Sport, whatever.

Then, on 1st Feb 2020, they deducted the whole amount of £197.82 from my balance and generated a bill of £66.66. This came out of my bank account yesterday - 10th Feb. No warning from Plusnet, no explanation, no nothing.

At the end of the day, if i don't end up paying more than I should, then I won't have lost out. But it would help if Plusnet could run their billing system like any normal company.

When my contract finishes at the end of Oct 2020, I will keep an eye out for "random additional charges". Thanks for the warning.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @nemo1966 

When you agree to a contract we'd advise how much you'll be paying when that term comes to an end, however for any contracts that started on or after 8th August 2018 we will email you a reminder before it expires with an account review.

Having said that I can see you were sent an email with an account review on or around the 25th November last year, and this is documented on to your account Here albeit briefly. If you can't find it, I recommend checking your junk mail folders.

If you prefer to speak to somebody to discuss a new deal, then I'd call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 alternatively if you can PM me a good contact number to get you on and a time-frame when you'd be free for a call, I'll be happy to arrange for one of the team to call you back.

[edit]

If you want to open the options up for us to contact you in more way then I'd also recommend changing your communication preferences Here as from what I can see we've communicated with you in the way you've told us.

Hi @Armin_Tamzarian Apologies for the issues you've had with your account billing. I've looked into this for you and I can see we emailed you notification of this bill. A copy can be found online in your account as a service notice Here

Can you check we've got the right email address on file for you?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nemo1966
Dabbler

Mmmmm yes I remember the email back in november. I remember thinking that the £3.00 a  month price hike was a pretty poor offer at the time. Now the price for new customers has gone down as well (with a £75 cashback offer) - so the price hike now is £4.00 a month. I can go on the instrustry standard EXPENSIVE BT Fast Fibre for £1.00 cheaper with an £80 reward card or £40 MS and card incentive.

Then to add insult to injury, whilst on the new Plusnet customer offer page a popup Chat window opens!!! Asking me if I'd like to chat about this exciting offer... but wait... chat isn't available on my browser because I have ad blockers enabled (that I don't actually have). Strange that as an existing customer trying to contact support that I cannot because of the mystical adblockers, but as a potential new customer I don't have the mystical adblocker problem. 😖

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you're unhappy with the renewal offer we've made you prior to your contract ending, as per my previous response have you tried calling our customer options team? The offer of a call back is still on the table if you want? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nemo1966
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

If you're unhappy with the renewal offer we've made you prior to your contract ending, as per my previous response have you tried calling our customer options team? The offer of a call back is still on the table if you want? Smiley

as per first message - "Tried ringing gave up after 30 mins", then tried the "non" chat option.... tried several times afterwards as well.

So as per my intial post, before coming on here and being offered a callback  -  no viable way of contacting Plusnet and a huge price hike out of contract LITERALLY forcing me to move to another supplier.  "Strange way of doing business - Plusnet"

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @nemo1966 

I do sincerely apologise if you've encountered a long wait to get through to us on the phone. We do often call our customers proactively to discuss new deals when the communications preferences allow for this and are set appropriately. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nemo1966
Dabbler

So because I don't want you ringing me 24/7 my preferences are set inappropriately, does your email not work??!?!?!?!

Just signed up to a different provider (Broadband and 2 mobile accounts). -Bye bye Plusnet and your terrible customer service.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @nemo1966 

I'm sorry to see you feel that way. Unfortunately we don't and I believe we never have offered support via email. I've offered several times a call back to discuss a renewal with you, an offer that's still there should you change your mind.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet