Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange letter

FIXED
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Strange letter

I just received a letter from Plusnet that starts "We know that you're no longer one of our customers..." and ends asking for their router back.

This is bizarre because I am definitely still a customer, albeit with an account name that was changed when I moved house and, obviously, my Plusnet service.

The letter was addressed to my new address so I am assuming that this is just wires getting crossed somewhere in the "new" admin system.

Dave

13 REPLIES 13
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Strange letter

Just out of curiosity how much are they offering for the router?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Plusnet Feedback to My Account Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

daveplus
Pro

@billnotben No money but entry in a prize draw for an iPad

daveplus
Pro

ignore this

d

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @daveplus, thanks for your post.

It's definitely been sent in error.

When you move home, the old account is closed and a new one set up. It seems that on this occasion, it hadn't registered that you'd set up a new account and only registered the closed account.

Don't worry - this shouldn't cause any account issues.

I'll flag this to the relevant team now, thank you for bringing the issue to our attention.

billnotben
Community Veteran

@daveplus wrote:

No money but entry in a prize draw for an iPad

If you have any mobile phones send them to me for entry in a prize draw for a Ferrari F40 🤣

s7eveyorkshire
Dabbler

It definately does not close old acc.and set up a new account... it may have had to have a new one set up but certainly does not close your current account so dont be alarmed if you are reading this its a little confusing
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why do Plusnet want their old routers back?

Are they afraid you'll sell it for a fiver on ebay?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

billnotben
Community Veteran

I expect someone at plusnet wants them back so they can sell them for a fiver on ebay.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@OskarPapa 

Can you please confirm that the router serial number got transferred across the accounts so that auto configuration of the router will function correctly?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Townman It doesn't look like it. I don't understand how this is relevant to what's being discussed here though. 

@daveplus If you're using the old router feel free to send me a PM with the serial number from the bottom and I'll be happy to add it into the hardware component on your new account so it receives firmware updates etc.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Gandalf 

it has relevance in the context of the myriad of things which can and are going wrong where new accounts need to be created to replace closed ones.

This topic gives rise to the observation that for continued auto configuration of a retained router, the serial number needs to be transferred from the old account to the new account.  Without that, changing the account password is likely to cut the user off ... unless they realise and feel comfortable ‘messing’ with the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@VileReynard wrote:

Why do Plusnet want their old routers back?

Are they afraid you'll sell it for a fiver on ebay?

Because not many customers will reuse, repurpose or sell them on once they're finished with them, so will ultimately end up in landfill.

So as ISPs are responsible for sending millions of these things out it's only right they try to offset/reduce the amount of e-waste they generate by taking unused one's back for recycling...