cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Usage / Near my 60 gig Limit for the month already??

Shewrog
Grafter

Strange Usage / Near my 60 gig Limit for the month already??

Hello, can you help?
I just called the customer support number on my email and they were no help at all.
I received an email from you guys stating I was near my usage limit for the month already.
I checked my usage and, for example, it stated last night / yesterday we used / downloaded nearly 16 gig. This is nonsense, we were out most of the day and don't download anything as a rule, we are just a family of gamers, hence using your priority service. Last weekend I downloaded a game that was 25/27 gig (very unusual for us) and I can see this on my usage but yesterdays example and others, are very unusual.
I can assure you we had no devices connected to broadband downloading anything, let alone 16 gig. Can somebody help with this  /    provide some feedback, as 16 gig is over a quarter of our monthly allowance. I've never exceeded it before.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Strange Usage / Near my 60 gig Limit for the month already??

Change you wireless key for a start and if possible lock down the router
If you have a TG582n have a look here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1
Is there a device you don't recognise
Shewrog
Grafter

Thanks for your response, I think it's quite easy to change key isn't it? I am in work atm but will do that later tonight. Is the link you provide to get access to the router? It's just the one provided by Plusnet we use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The link takes you to the page where those devices which have connected to the router are shown even after they are no longer connected and if you see a device you don't recognise then, if you click on it and select configure, you can delete it
To change the key click on the WLAN: PlusnetWireless etc. and then click on Configure and you will get something like this picture
The lower blue rectangle is where you change the Wireless key and the upper blue rectangle is where you can change the connection options
Shewrog
Grafter

That's great, this is probably a very stupid question but what is the user name and password that is requested when I click on the link you provided in the first email? I obviously have both for my plusnet account, but are there separate one's for the router? I can't remember. Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They were given on the plastic card which came with the router
Usually they are username admin and password is the serial number of the router (shown on the bottom)
Note that they are case sensitive
Shewrog
Grafter

Thanks again for your help, there were plenty of devices I didn't recognise, as such, but the list seemed roughly equivalent to the number of devices we use, I couldn't ID them all. I changed my key. Usage has gone back down again. Do you know if streaming from Netflix or similar services (for a few hours a day) uses a lot of bandwith, I always assumed it didn't.
Cheers
Oldjim
Resting Legend