cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steep 59% increase in bills so I want out

philipinleeds
Hooked

Steep 59% increase in bills so I want out

I have a second property with Plusnet broadband [no phone is connected]  - its been unused for most of the year with Covid but I have suffered a 59% increase in Plusnet bills from £224pa to £356pa [to April 2020]. I'm now told this will increase to £377. I'm very unhappy at these increases. With Covid the flat is not being rented out and I want to suspend my broadband, change supplier or just cancel and restart with another supplier when needed for renting whenever that might be.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Re: Steep 59% increase in bills so I want out

Hi @philipinleeds

Sorry to hear that.  Please contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. This department will be able to assist with changing your contract and finding best offer for you. Unfortunately it is not something we are able to do over Community Forum.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @philipinleeds 

If you are going to let your flat, I would advise not providing phone and broadband yourself, just as you should not provide gas and electricity. The only regular payment that you should make is Council Tax.

Dave

ps If you don't intend to let it, please ignore

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Good advice @daveplus but there is one (big) caveat I would add for the OP.

Do be aware that sometimes phone lines can be re-used to supply a service to another property. It's one reason I was without a landline for 18 months - even though I had a phone line running to the house. While the house had been empty for nearly a year prior to me buying it and with no phone service being paid for, due to a shortage of lines in the area, OR gave the line to someone else. I ended up in a queue of people wanting a connection. It was only when they ran a new cable for the 3 miles to the next village that I got the line connected back on. I certainly learnt from the (bitter) experience.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@idonno 

Thanks for that. I live in London so in general not being able to get a connection is probably very rare.

simron
Hooked

Speculating but it could be a holiday let type flat where guests will expect broadband even though you'd want to keep them well away from the phoneline itself.