Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP on Asus Router without Plusnet router

FIXED
EthanLC
Hooked

Static IP on Asus Router without Plusnet router

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my static IP to work with my home network.

I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra package coming in through ADSL PPPoE -> TP-Link modem (bridge) -> Asus RT-AX56U.

No Plusnet router in the link.

I have connected with my details within the Asus hub and have a connection to the internet. All happy and good using these details:

WAN connection type: PPPoE

DNS Servers: 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8

Username: user@plusdsl.net

Password: My password

Enable VPN + DHCP Connection: True

This works great but now I can't seem to get my Static IP working.

I've purchased the addon and when I go to configure I receive the message saying:

"Current Status: You are currently using a dynamic IP address"

I've tried to set my router to not get WAN IP automatically but with no success.

I've looked online and most forums say it will get it automatically, if you just leave it, but this hasn't changed in 2 weeks. Lastly, these forums use the Plusnet router as a middle man if they use their own routers which I am not doing, and will not do as it caused too many headaches for my use cases.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Static IP on Asus Router without Plusnet router

@EthanLC  Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing to configure. If you drop the dsl connection and reconnect after say a minute it will pick up the fixed IP address from the Plusnet server. You must leave the router to pick this up automatically else you will have gateway issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

As @Baldrick1 says if you drop the connection it should get it automatically. While I was with PN I never used the supplied router but used my own Draytek / TP link set up and used a static IP without any problems whatsoever.

If you continue to have problems it might be that the order hasn't actually happened and, if it still shows that you have a static IP, you'd need to contact CS to find out why it isn't happening. Finally, one thing that does cross my mind: are you logging in with the correct account details? Just a thought.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@EthanLC wrote:

I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra package coming in through ADSL PPPoE -> TP-Link modem (bridge) -> Asus RT-AX56U.

@EthanLC 

I'm not familiar with your setup but I do know that your 'Fibre' connection will be VDSL, so is that a typo above (ADSL)?

EthanLC
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Thanks,

I tried disconnecting everything, powering off everything in the link for about 5 minutes to be sure. Logged into the hub and saw the IP change. Left the router to pick settings automatically but Plusnet's account manager is still saying "Current Status: You are currently using a dynamic IP address".

I'll try again later today and tomorrow and see if the IP changes. Maybe the account manager is just not updating yet.

EthanLC
Hooked

@idonno I will try what @Baldrick1 said. I thought it would just do it automatically. Knowing that someone else got it working is a relief. I have defiantly got the right details but I will double-check now.

EthanLC
Hooked

@RobPN Yep, your right. Its VDSL and have configured it as such. Will edit post now Smiley

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing as it looks like the order for static IP hasn’t completed. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@EthanLC 

It’s also possible that Plusnet have screwed up and not allocated you a fixed IP address. I do not use Plusnet supplied equipment and have a fixed IP address for years. During this time I have played with multiple changes of modem/router combinations and combined hubs without the need to configure anything at my end.

Moderator and Customer

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@EthanLC wrote:

but Plusnet's account manager is still saying "Current Status: You are currently using a dynamic IP address".

Given the above, it does sound like the order hasn't happened or hasn't been applied. Somewhere there should be the order plus the payment (from memory) of £5. That, You are currently using a dynamic...... should have changed to, You are using a static IP..... i.e. it doesn't change when you connect but changes fairly quickly after you've paid the money.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't the £5 just to ensure you always get the same dynamic IP address - ie it's just allocated from the Plusnet dynamic address pool? That £5 hasn't actually bought (as in ownership) anything?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

That would be interesting if you could leave Plusnet and take the IP address with you....

Baldrick1

@VileReynard wrote:

Isn't the £5 just to ensure you always get the same dynamic IP address - ie it's just allocated from the Plusnet dynamic address pool? That £5 hasn't actually bought (as in ownership) anything?

No, at least they weren’t when I got mine. This came from a different pool of addresses and is connected into a different part of the BT system. 

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Welcome to our community forums @EthanLC 

@VileReynard wrote:

No, our static IPs are assigned from different pools to dynamic IPs. They're generally from a centralised location whereas dynamic IPs are location specific based on the exchange, so the pools that dynamic's are allocated from are smaller than they once were (before we brought out our dedicated network in 2016). This means that our dynamic IPs are generally 'sticky', the likelihood of getting the same one back is fairly high but they're not static.

@Champnet wrote:

That would be interesting if you could leave Plusnet and take the IP address with you....

This wouldn't be possible as our IPs belong to Plusnet. 

@Baldrick1 wrote:
@VileReynard wrote:

No, at least they weren’t when I got mine. This came from a different pool of addresses and is connected into a different part of the BT system. 

Static IPs terminate on different equipment within the Plusnet network. 

Moving on to the problem, I can't figure out what's gone wrong here. The static IP is showing as active but also not active simultaneously as it hasn't been properly automatically assigned to the radius server of your account. I think this is the second time I've seen an issue like this in my almost 7 years here.

I've done the good old remove and re-add trick which looks to have sorted this. Can you reboot your router? Your IP should be static beginning with 31.125 afterwards. If you can't see the full IP in your account, use a site such as Here to check.

Also I've added a £5 credit onto your account to cover the second charge for the static IP you'll see on your next bill. 

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
EthanLC
Hooked

@Gandalf wrote:

Welcome to our community forums @EthanLC 

Thank you 🙂

Moving on to the problem, I can't figure out what's gone wrong here. The static IP is showing as active but also not active simultaneously as it hasn't been properly automatically assigned to the radius server of your account. I think this is the second time I've seen an issue like this in my almost 7 years here.

I've done the good old remove and re-add trick which looks to have sorted this. Can you reboot your router? Your IP should be static beginning with 31.125 afterwards. If you can't see the full IP in your account, use a site such as Here to check.

Also I've added a £5 credit onto your account to cover the second charge for the static IP you'll see on your next bill. 

I hope this helps.

Working perfectly now.

IP is now correct 31.125 and so on. Honestly just my luck but super happy it's working now. Thank you so much for sorting it.

Thanks to everyone else with help and suggestions.