cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky (insert swear word of your choice).

MrFraggle
Grafter

Sneaky (insert swear word of your choice).

A few days ago I agreed a new contract and price for said contract. Out of the blue I have been informed that there are changes or updates to the service etc and my cost will be rising by £1. Not a great sum I admit but it is the principle of the thing.

Is Plusnet expecting me to believe that whoever it was I arranged my new deal with was not aware of the forthcoming price increase. 

I am trying to work out whether I am legally able to terminate the new contact or not as this was a very sneaky move by Plusnet.

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Sneaky (insert swear word of your choice).

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the price refresh.

We do advise of the following in the e-mail following taking out a new contract:

We may make changes to prices, content and terms at any time during your contract. We'll tell you about important changes before they happen and if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

If you would like to discuss a new deal I'd recommend calling Customer Options on 0800 013 2632.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrFraggle
Grafter

Industry regulator Ofcom has previously declared customers who have unexpected extra costs introduced to their accounts mid-contract have the right to cancel their policy. So including that this might occur in a email does not make it right.
As I said your representative would have been aware of the impending price rise or if not he should have and I should have been notified prior to contract start.

It is not the amount just the way it was done.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

darsuke
Dabbler

Is everyone affected by the price refresh?

I haven't had an email (yet).

MrFraggle
Grafter

I would think so, this was the main part of the email.

Over the last year we’ve been working hard. We’ve won loads of awards thanks to you, our customers. Including uSwitch’s Best Provider 2018 for Customer Service for the 5th year running, so you know you’re in the best hands. 

From 5th June 2018, we’re going to be changing some of our prices and terms and conditions while making improvements to our service. As a result, you’ll see a small £1.00 price rise on your monthly broadband bill, but any discounts or promotions you have will still stand. If you’re a mobile customer, there will be no change in your SIM only plan price. 

Here are just some of the great things you’ll see:              
  • Our superfast fibre broadband is even faster - we’ve increased upload speeds from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster).**
  • We’re boosting our UK customer service team - there will be even more friendly, helpful people on hand to help.      
  • Our Caller Display will be free for everyone - so you’ll be able to see who’s calling.
darsuke
Dabbler

Not seen that email, and 'My Account' just has a "Our prices are changing' banner but doesn't seem personal to me.

Maybe I've slipped under the radar 😉

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

customers who have unexpected extra costs introduced to their accounts mid-contract have the right to cancel their policy.

That's correct.

If you contact Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 within 30 days of receiving the price refresh e-mail advising us you would like to leave because of this we'll make sure no early termination fees are applied when your service leaves.

Is everyone affected by the price refresh?

I haven't had an email (yet).

All Unlimited broadband customers are affected.

We're still sending the e-mails out in batches.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@darsuke wrote:

Not seen that email, and 'My Account' just has a "Our prices are changing' banner

If the e-mail has been sent there will also be a Closed Question on your acount giving the same information as the e-mail.

darsuke
Dabbler

I could have kept my mouth shut Tongue

darsuke
Dabbler

@Jonpe wrote:

If the e-mail has been sent there will also be a Closed Question on your acount giving the same information as the e-mail.

Well that's interesting....there is a closed service announcment about the increase that I haven't received an email about. But it's dated in the future for next Tuesday the 24th!

Shame the lotto numbers aren't attached to it Cool_smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I believe that's just an internal note for the benefit of anyone who access your account from this side.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet