cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snags in that "3 months free" Broadband offer

howie
Dabbler

Snags in that "3 months free" Broadband offer

Having put off upgrading from Dial-up to Broadband for far too long, I was spurred into action by the "3 months free" promotion in August. The on-line FAQs for existing users assured me that my existing web hosting and domain name would still be provided.
However, it turns out the offer wasn't quite as generous as it seemed.
The "3 months free" offer was only for NEW customers - not existing ones... even, if like me, they'd been with Plusnet for many years.
And to add insult to injury, it turns out there is an extra £1 a month charge for the previously "free domain".
When ordering the upgrade by telephone there was absolutely no correction to any of this - apart from a P&P cost for a modem/router.  I was assured  my line qualified for the £6.49 Value service and the domain/webspace would continue.
I am currently in correspondence with Plusnet and awaiting a more generous offer about charges than they've suggested so far.
All a bit of a shame that they messed up on their advertising and advice for existing customers as the provision of my modem/router and changeover to Broadband went fairly smoothly with useful advice to sort out a single technical problem from a very pleasant advisor at Plusnet.  Until my unexpected bill turned up, I would probably have been willing to recommend Plusnet to others... but now I'm holding fire!
6 REPLIES 6
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Snags in that "3 months free" Broadband offer

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into problems, our system has been built to apply this offer to new signups via a specific URL only. I've applied your 3 months free now.
Can I ask why your domain name is free? If this is deliberately free on your dial up account then we can certainly continue it for free on broadband.
howie
Dabbler

Hullo Ben
Thanks for looking into this so quickly.
When I first signed up with Plusnet, the company offered a combined package of Internet connection, free webspace and one free .co.uk domain name.  I took up the domain name offer and have been using it for at least the past 6 or 7 years. As far as I was concerned, the free domain and hosting were all part of the Dial-up package.  And they remained important when considering upgrading to a Broadband service.
I trust this clarifies things and await your response.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I to have a free domain name and when moving from one to another a team member had to manually carry over the added benefits
I also have an alternative name from the days of the PN security lapse, also carried over free
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, am making the domain free now Smiley
howie
Dabbler

Hullo Ben
Thank you for sorting things out.
I have just spent an hour or so digging back into ancient e-mails (on a  little used old computer) and was interested to re-read the following from an e-mail to myself from Plusnet, dated: 28 November 2002:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This email contains important information about your PlusNet Connect
Lite account, please read it carefully.
As you'll be aware from our recent announcements we're in the process of
making some improvements to the way our unmetered dial-up platform
operates.
Changes in the way our unmetered customers connect to PlusNet through BT
mean we are now able to manage the port usage of our various Connect
accounts more closely. This will provide a fixed quality of service for
each Connect account, as defined by their contention ratio.
As a result of these changes we will be unable to continue to offer the
Connect Lite User on the 20:1 contention platform for the discounted
price of £6.99 alongside our £8.99 customers. Taking effect from your
next invoice date following the 12th December 2002, you will be charged
the non-discounted price of £8.99.
Following this transition, you will retain all the same great features
currently included with your account. You will also be able to take
advantage of a number of value-added features already available to our
standard Connect Lite users:
+ An included '.co.uk' domain name
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this helps to confirm that the (quote) " included '.co.uk' domain name " was never intended to be an extra chargeable item.
Thank you again for sorting out my complaints regarding the free service offer and the domain/hosting charge.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all - if you're happy then I'm happy Smiley