cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Cessation charge

Jay89

Sky Cessation charge

Hi,

I know this has been brought up before ( https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Moving-to-sky-and-Cessation-Charges/m-p/1164411#M16... ) but I thought I might get some helpful advice here.

I've moved over to sky from plusnet and upon viewing my plusnet account info I've found a cessation charge (I've not received any email etc. yet advising me of this charge though). I thought switching over to sky wouldn't incur this charge (similar to the thread in the link above). The switch was done correctly as far as I can tell (I have the same phone number) and I know that in these enlightened days I don't need a MAC code - I think the charge is a mistake.

If it helps, I also received an email after signing up with sky informing me that my phone service is moving and that 'if' my broadband service was moving (which it is) I would receive an email shortly (which I didn't) - perhaps this could be a reason that the cessation fee has been applied if plusnet thought I was changing the phone line but not the broadband?

I don't know - tbh I'm looking for answers/suggestions if anyone thinks that this is a mistake or whether it has been correctly charged to me.

Many thanks for all responses - James

15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Sky Cessation charge

I'm afraid that since that post was made and responded to (2014) we do now charge the cessation for transfer away from the BT Network.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Further to Chris' response, more information on the cease charge can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Jay89

Could you possibly list alternate providers that are part of the bt network?
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

it's daylight robbery, that's what it is.
basically charging you to leave their service is the lowest of the low, but then again seeing as they give broadband for free to anyone who is stupid enough the transfer to plusnet then I guess someone has to pay for it.
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jay89 wrote:
Could you possibly list alternate providers that are part of the bt network?

Have a look at this.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/providers/bt

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@chenks76 wrote:
it's daylight robbery, that's what it is.
basically charging you to leave their service is the lowest of the low, but then again seeing as they give broadband for free to anyone who is stupid enough the transfer to plusnet then I guess someone has to pay for it.

Plusnet make no money out of the cessation charge - that's what they are charged and they just pass it on

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chenks76
All Star

charged by whom?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

chenks76
All Star

so we get a charge to join and a charge to leave.
as i said, daylight robbery.
and in a previous thread, it's hardly a free market as you're getting held to ransom should you wish to switch.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Providing the gaining ISP does it correctly you shouldn't be charged if you switch to a service where the broadband is delivered over the same phone line. Only if the service is terminated is the charge applied. Note that when switching you should not cancel the account with Plusnet as that is likely to be interpreted as as request to terminate and you will be charged (only notify them you are moving if taking advantage of early termination due to adverse changes) - it is now all gaining provider driven. Terminating is also likely to delay the new provider being able to provide their service as the termination order has to complete before they can place a new order.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jay89

Thanks for the information Jelv,

I can only think that between the email I received about the change of phone line (and the subsequent one I didn't receive about changing broadband) and that now my new broadband is late that someone (either plusnet or sky - I don't know) probably screwed up and ceased the broadband instead of switching it. any suggestions on which supplier I should complain to first?

DW65

Hi, I've just had a conversation with Sky about this as I'm thinking of transferring.  They have insisted that the £30 cessation charge should not be incurred when moving both phone and broadband.  Could PlusNet comment?

Jay89

From my (limited) experience, plusnet are going to charge it to you anyway regardless of whether they should or not. On the plus side, sky have told me that if they (plusnet) charge you anything for leaving, they'll cover it with their switch cover (up to £100) so I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, slight pain in the butt for the need to gather and send evidence but seems to be the easiest way of leaving what has so far (for me at least) been a useless ISP (not just over this, PlusNet have screwed up many things over the past year!)

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@DW65 wrote:

Hi, I've just had a conversation with Sky about this as I'm thinking of transferring.  They have insisted that the £30 cessation charge should not be incurred when moving both phone and broadband.  Could PlusNet comment?

@HarryB wrote:

Further to Chris' response, more information on the cease charge can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

When would I have to pay it?

You'd only need to pay the charge if the broadband service is being taken off your phone line. Typical reasons for this are:

• the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off
  • you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider
  • you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)
  • you move to a provider who uses their own equipment in your exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)

If Sky are providing the service over an MPF line (LLU) which they generally do, the cease charge would be applicable.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet