cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up to BB and anytime calls but now line rental on top?

insussex
Grafter

Signed up to BB and anytime calls but now line rental on top?

Hi there

Been with Plus Net for some years now.

I am however very confused as to why on top of our BB and call plan we also have to pay line rental when other providers include it within their BB and call package.

I am nearing the end of my 14 day cooling off period so need to understand what is going on.

I did open up a question but it seems to be overlooked.

My point is this:

Other providers include the line rental within their stated charges. Therefore I could get all the above for just £18 a month, even your fibre package is only a few more £ than the equivalent £27.49 (including line rental of £209.88) you will be charging me.Have I misunderstood please?

I was told I'd need to pay line rental with other providers but when I called they said no.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
salmo
Rising Star

Re: Signed up to BB and anytime calls but now line rental on top?

At a guess I think that line rental and broadband are included in the £209-88 ie equivalent to £17-49 per month. This doesn't include a call package. Anytime calls are an extra £9 per month.

Most other ISPs quote a basic price that doesn't include a call plan but some do. Now advertise BB and anytime calls for £18 as you quote. 

insussex
Grafter

Thanks, but that's not the case, I have been charged for the calls and broadband separately and now they are seeking the full line rental as well.

This makes my monthly over £27 for basic asdl which seems very uncompetitive. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@insussex wrote:

This makes my monthly over £27 for basic asdl which seems very uncompetitive. 

Uncompetitive maybe, but not wrong.

This is from my last bill for (out of contract) ADSL

bill.jpg

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
insussex
Grafter

I understand we can pay much more if we wish, but I was discussing other offers and it was said that they were not showing line rental, so for example there is on right now for £18 all in.

I don't want to move from Plusnet but do want to understand why line rental seems to be a big extra cost compared to others that add it to the cost you see.

Hope that makes sense? 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

OK. As far as I'm aware line rental and broadband are itemised separately on bills, with Plusnet or anyone else, but are quoted as a combined total on any advertised broadband packages.

£18 is a good offer, but must surely include line rental. Do you have a link?

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
insussex
Grafter

Hi

https://www.nowtv.com/broadband/affiliates/brilliant-broadband?DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_BroadbandChoicesP2/...

No idea how good they are and 11mbps looks poor compared with the 17 I get now

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@insussex wrote:

No idea how good they are...

Nor me.

The quoted 11Mb/s is an average (of what exactly I'm not sure). If I enter my details on the site it tells me I can expect between 11·3 and 18 Mb/s - i currently get 17 Mb/s with Plusnet ADSL2+.

As it would be the same BTOR infrastructure there's no reason to suppose my speed would be any different.

Seems a funny kind of 12 month contract, as they advise: "Prices may change during this period."  🤔

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
salmo
Rising Star

I think that Now are owned by Sky. They operate on the Sky network. A friend of mine is with them and has had no problems however the test of an ISP is what happens when problems arise.  He went through Topcasback and got £60 cashback which has been paid. This equates to £13 per month  for line rental, broadband and anytime calls. Like all ISPs the price increases after the first year. Topcashback are currently advertising  £59-50 cashback for ADSL and anytime calls although this is never guaranteed.

I was thinking of changing to them when my contract with PN ran out earlier this year but it was the start of lockdown and I was worried what would happen if the change over went wrong.  Also Now withdrew cash back at the time so I stuck with PN after negotiating a reasonable deal.