cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared flat - reshuffling - I'm leaving

mimja

Shared flat - reshuffling - I'm leaving

Hello!

We (ok, technically I, I suppose) are on an 18 month contract for fibre broadband.  soon, we will have finished 12 months.  I will be moving out.  My flatmates would like keep the contract, the question is how.  I cannot take the contract with me, as I am leaving the country.

Please advise what to do.  

Thank you

25 REPLIES 25
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Shared flat - reshuffling - I'm leaving

I would get PlusNet to change the account name of the person (assuming it is you at the moment) to one of your flatmates.
Do the same with BT.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid we can't do that, we're not allowed to switch the account name to someone else in these circumstances. It would require a new account to be set up and the line transferred over, unfortunately this would mean cancellation fees on the current account.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gofaster
Rising Star

Why are you "not allowed" to do that?

Are there OFCOM regulations?

What if a customer gets married and changes their name?

Should the OP get one of the flatmates to change their name by deed poll Wink

Chris
Legend

There are some exceptions where we can do this upon receipt of wedding certificate, death certificate or deed poll name change form, in instances where it's changing to a different person such as this we cannot do this.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Can't you come up with some arrangement with your flatmates where you continue to pay up to the end of the contract and they reimburse you monthly.

Naturally this would depend on your relationship with the flatmates. 

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Another option could be to set-up the direct debit instruction in your flatmates name/account until the end of your contract, and then you could contact us to close the account. They'd then be able to create a new account in their name.

This option also depends on the relationship you have with them, as if they stopped paying you'd be responsible for the contract/any fees.

Appreciate that it doesn't sound like a good situation to be in, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

Just wondering in these instances if the OP is charged cancellation fees could they be returned if the line is taken over in a timely fashion by someone he has mention direct to Plusnet seeing as it will be the same telephone number and address.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I did exactly that with my business line - got the new operators to contact with PN without there being a break in service.  No termination fees, no connection fees.

I have real difficulty understanding what the issue is here - it is a simple transfer of obligations from one person to another - if PN are still getting paid ... what's the real issue?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Seems strange to me, can't PlusNet change the name if they're happy they had consent (security checks, etc.) from the current account holder requesting the change?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Doesn't seem that strange to me. You can't normally change the name on a mobile phone contract for example.
Alex
Community Veteran

PlusNet can't technically make an account name change on their system?
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate they have to be careful and ensure it is a ligimiate request, but once they're happy it is, I fail to see the problem.
Chris
Legend

It's not just as simple as changing the account holder name on our side unfortunately, when we order a phone line the details of the customers name are entered there for emergency contact details too, the customer name is also entered on the broadband asset. Updating these is via an order, this is another reason we require a new account signing up.

gofaster
Rising Star

Nobody said it should be simple but in the case of births deaths and marriages it is obviously possible and is done.

It seems very unfair to charge six months early termination fees and then get the sharers to sign up to another 18 month contract. It makes you look like you are incompetent money-grabbing wotsits - which I'm sure you are not really.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

That is an interesting angle - ETC are very much about recouping losses arising from breaking a contract.  If the remaining flat mates were to immediately recontract with PN ... there is no loss!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.