cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a new account

WilyKit

Setting up a new account

I wonder if someone is able to help me with setting up a new broadband account because I have spoken to several people within Plusnet and so far have received contradicting information.

My husband and I have been customers for years, but the account is under his name.  When he left last year I took over paying for the broadband but have since been told it is not possible to transfer the account into my name.  The only option is to cancel the current account and set up a new one in my name.  However, I have not been able to set up a new account because there is already an account.  My husband rang to cancel the account when the line rental saver expires (10th June), but he was told there was a £30 cancellation fee unless he was setting up with a new provider.

My preference is to stay with Plusnet and I had been hoping to take advantage of the free unlimited broadband for 18 months, but that deal is only available until midnight today.  I thought there would be a seamless transition from the old account to the new account and I was told that I would probably only be without broadband for an hour while the changeover was happening.  However, today I was told that I wouldn’t be able to set up a new account until the day after the current account has finished ie 11th June and I would be without broadband for 10 days while the new account is activated.

I hope this is enough information and thank you in advance of your advice.

10 REPLIES 10
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Setting up a new account

Hi WilyKit,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this. In this situation all you have to do is contact us or go online and set up a new account as if you were just a brand new customer. Once you have placed your order we will just contact the account holder of the original account and inform that the service is being taken over. The reason for the cessation fee is because it is a broadband service cancellation which requires an engineer. This work will not require the engineer to visit the premises and the work will be conducted at the exchange. Because of this our suppliers charge us a fee to cease the line.

WilyKit

Hi Ben,
Thank you for your reply. I am not able to set up a new account online because when I put in the postcode is says there is already an account with Plusnet. I was also unable to set up an account with the sales team.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry I forgot to mention that when you do this online you need to just put your post code and that you do not have a telephone number, as this is why it will not let you proceed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@BenB wrote:

Hi WilyKit,

The reason for the cessation fee is because it is a broadband service cancellation which requires an engineer. This work will not require the engineer to visit the premises and the work will be conducted at the exchange. Because of this our suppliers charge us a fee to cease the line.

Oh come-on @BenB - this needs to be nothing more than a change in PlusNet's commercial billing arrangements.  Whist I suspect that this is a BT Wholesale manufactures farce there is no need for any engineering change here, so there is no need for a cease fee.  PlusNet rents the service from BTw, all that is required is a PlusNet commercial transfer of the payment arrangements between party A and party B (who are or were related).

What happens in the event of a death where the service was in the name of (say) the husband and it now needs to be transferred into the name of the wife?  Surely you do not force a service cease and re-provide with the associate costs and a CHANGE OF USER NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESSES?  ( @WilyKit are you aware that you will loose any existing email addresses on the PlusNet account?).

Death and separation are stressful enough without utility suppliers imposing silly rules when wanting to transfer and EXISTING service from one member to another.  PlusNet really do need to do much better here ... but I guess that will take a new billing system ... which we've been promised in development for how many years now?

Thinking outside the box here - if the wife here were an authorised contact on the account, could she just take over the whole of and responsibility for the account?  There needs to be sensible flexibility around such family / social circumstances.  The hassle of changing payment arrangements is one thing, the loss of key characteristics of the service (user name and password) could be a major inconvenience.

Do the T&Cs cover / provide any guidance on take over of existing service in the event of a change in family circumstances?  Seems to me that everyone should consider placing their service in joint names paid for from a joint account to avoid the PlusNet "the computer says no!!!" syndrome.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Townman,

From reading your reply you have some suggestions which would be good in an ideal world but unfortunately this is not the case and you have not read the context of this correctly.

The process I have mentioned is to stop there being a disconnection in service when the account closes. Once the account is closed to clear the line a cessation fee would be applicable on the original account as the service is not been taken over or moved to a new address. By just entering the postcode as a new customer without the telephone number allows the account to be closed in a transfer state thus not been charged a cease fee.

As for bereavement process it is something totally different and if the next of kin/direct family member would want to take over the account we would require them to pass data protection for the account. If they could not pass data protection then we would require a copy of the death certificate and they could only enact the closure of the account from that point.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@BenB,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I think you've pointed to an interesting can of worms which needs closer examination by PlusNET.  Can you please pass the thoughts expoused herein to the appropriate department(s).

Service take over by next of kin / power of attorney / close family member in a number of common family / social / life events could (indeed ought) to be made easier / more amicable.  In the case in point if both parties agree that the service (as is) can be taken over, the easiest approach for everyone (including PlusNET) is a simple commercial reassignment of the account and contract to a different name and bank account.  It avoids nugatory orders with BTw / BTOR and associated costs, to say nothing of avoiding the potential for BT to totally screw-up a simple job.  It retains the account and email personas;it takes the stress out of the situation for all.

What happens in the case of ill health?  What happens if for example one party stops work and the other party wants to take over the financial responsibility for the account (no separation, no illness nor death)?  Does it really need to be made this hard?  Thinking of myself, the whole family use this service, I'm retired and might one day want / need my wife to take over responsibility for the service.  Be assurred I'd be very pee'd off it that meant a loss of the existing account, email addresses and a cease charge to boot.  I'm sure no one would claim to be proud about such an approach.

Plusnnet really do need to do better here than they are at present.  They used to do better - when I left my business I transferred the whole of my PN service over to the new owners (with a change in user account) without incurring a BT cease charge.  There is no need for engineering work in such circumstances: it's a con to fill their coffers for doing nothing: so I guess from a BT perspective that's business as normal? Funny Crazy2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Townman wrote:

What happens in the case of ill health?  What happens if for example one party stops work and the other party wants to take over the financial responsibility for the account (no separation, no illness nor death)?  Does it really need to be made this hard? 

They used to do better - when I left my business I transferred the whole of my PN service over to the new owners (with a change in user account) without incurring a BT cease charge.

If someone wants the financial side of the account to be dealt with by someone else, they can change the direct debit/payment details on the account, that's not a problem.

In regards to the business side of things, I believe that process differs to the residential process, as the business account is supplying a business, not a residential customer. Therefore the named person on the account can be changed as it is supplying the same business.

Either way, I'm happy to pass your feedback on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@HarryB,

For total clarity (and transparency) in respect of the business account, a new PlusNet user name was set up.

The key point here is that the commercial ownership and billing of the PLUSNET service was 'migrated' from me to another without any change within BT and therefore avoided any BT engineering changes.

Unless there is something hidden and not obvious, I cannot see what need there is for BT to (physically?) disconnect BB on a line to then need to go and (physically?) reconnect the line in the described situation.

This is a change of billing, there is no need for a service disconnect where (so to speak) PlusNet is loosing the old customer (husband) and gaining the new customer (wife) on the exact same service.

I know you have to 'defend' the practices of your 'supplier' (big daddy) but I think it hard for anyone to find justification for a service cease charge in the described circumstances.  All that happens here is the husband gets more pee'd off with the wife because it costs him the value of the cease charge ... when to Joe Public, nothing is being ceased, only billing arrangements are being changed.  The process needs to be more agile and not a money generation scheme.

Thank you for agreeing to pass this onwards and upwards. Angel Thumbs_Up

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'd just like to point out that the process described by Ben shouldn't cease the broadband or incur the cessation charge:

@BenB wrote:

By just entering the postcode as a new customer without the telephone number allows the account to be closed in a transfer state thus not been charged a cease fee.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Anoush,

I think this may have become totally confused...

@BenB wrote:

Hi WilyKit,

The reason for the cessation fee is because it is a broadband service cancellation which requires an engineer. This work will not require the engineer to visit the premises and the work will be conducted at the exchange. Because of this our suppliers charge us a fee to cease the line.

I guess it is not clear if he is simply explaining what the cease fee is in general or if he is stating that the cease fee WILL apply in this user's circumstance.  I read it as the latter, as that interpretation fits what the OP was told when they phoned up to adopt the service.

I can see all too clearly how left hands and right hands can become disjointed here.  PlusNet customer A places the cease on the line, customer B says they want to continue service from PlusNet.  In this set up, PlusNet ought to be capable of facilitating this commercial swap without involving BT at any level.  That ability would save users lots of dosh and remove the risk of BT further screwing-up PlusNet's reputation.