cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting things up - how long does it take?

jerryw
Grafter

Setting things up - how long does it take?

I referred a friend to Plusnet and I believe he signed up today. He is asking how long it takes at present before he can connect. It seems he is up to item four already (First payment) and still has:
Activating your line
Hardware delivery
Broadband is ready!
Subscription payment
..to go. Can anyone tell me how long this typically takes, how many days? I've been with Plusnet so long I can't remember how long it took  😉
Can I also mention how stupid the option packages are, since they seem to force anyone who wants package 1 to buy their own wireless router and bin the Plusnet one..
regards
Jerry
9 REPLIES 9
Loombucket
Grafter

Re: Setting things up - how long does it take?

PN quote 7 to 10 working days.  In my experience it seems to take just over a week currently.
Re. the router, why would Option 1 encourage you to ditch the wireless router?  For £9.99/month you can get a free wired Ethernet router (which is fine, by the way, I've installed a fair few of them) but if you need a wireless one the cost is reasonable compared with what you would pay elsewhere.
I think expecting a freebie wreless router for that amount per month is expecting a little more than would be reasonable.
jerryw
Grafter

the only choice you are presented with in the signup process for option 1 is to have a free wired router or pay £64.99 + £6 postage = £71 for a 4-port wireless router. These are easily available for under £30 elsewhere:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4126
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It depends on how you elect to pay.  If you elect to pay solely by Direct Debit, then it will take 5 working days for the Direct Debit to be set up before we can place the order, which takes a further 5 working days.  If you elect to pay by card, we can take payment immediately, and the order should take roughly 5 working days.
jerryw
Grafter

Quote from: James
If you elect to pay by card, we can take payment immediately, and the order should take roughly 5 working days.

He did. Is that 5 days start to finish? If so, that isn't at all bad, I think. I have him prepared for waiting a fortnight..
No comments on the router situation? A post in another thread, nothing to do with me, made some similar points:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=253.0
I can understand what you are trying to do - sell more of option 2 - but people all have their own preferences and needs and deliberately limiting them is not a game you will win. You will just cause resentment or send people off to packages offered elsewhere that suit them better. All you have to do, is offer a 1-port wireless router a bit cheaper than £71 to option 1 buyers. It does seem unfair to penalise particularly those of us who need to save money the most.
James
Grafter

Yes, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I do appreciate that you would be penalised for wanting to have a Wireless Router, yet not wanting to sign up on Option 2.
We would in cases like these, be able to offer you a Voyager 2091, for £30 as a one off fee.  I'll have a word with the Product Team and see what they have to say aswell.
James
Grafter

(As per other thread)
Hi there,
I've raised this with our Product Development team.  Currently we only have a limited amount of Voyager 2091's (1 port wireless routers).  We are looking into the equipment we supply per account and will see if we can come to a suitable arrangement.
Regarding timescales, it isn't something that is going to change overnight, but once there are further details available, I'll be sure to let you know.
hoopaholic
Grafter

mine took just overnight..it was very fast and very smooth
jerryw
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
I do want to make sure it's clear though that customers who do not currently have broadband on the line will have to wait for BT Wholesale to activate it, leading to the minimum five day delay.

My friend signed up on Monday 30 July (am) and received an email this morning Monday 6 August (c10am) to say that his broadband was active.
So overall, 7 days start to finish which I feel is pretty good
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good to hear that it's all up and running Cheesy
Let us know if you have any other questions.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.