cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously incorrect usage.Only been with Plusnet 2 weeks.Not happy

karensanford
Dabbler

Seriously incorrect usage.Only been with Plusnet 2 weeks.Not happy

Im writing this on behalf of my mum as she has no idea what is going on and has asked me to help.
She was previously with Orange and had a 2GB allowance per month and in 5 years she never used this amount.
However shes been with Plusnet since the 17th May and already shes had an email saying shes nearly used up 10GB usage.
This is insane.She doesnt even know how to download,she turns her wireless router off all the time and barely spends more than an hour a day if that on the web.
Ive now checked her usage and it says shes used 8.22GB.
In 5 years with orange she never had one problem and now shes seriously unhappy and annoyed with me for recommending Plusnet
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Seriously incorrect usage.Only been with Plusnet 2 weeks.Not happy

Does this link give any more information https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php then click on View Internet Activities
There won't be any reps on until tomorrow but one thing I would do immediately is to go to here https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/ and change the Maximum Extra Monthly Spend to zero while it is being sorted
karensanford
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Jim.
The internet activities are coming up as 44% web usuage which i find a very very high amount for my mum to be using.Like ive said before she never went over 2GBa month with Orange.
And streaming as 51%.Now i know she watches Eurosport Player on the odd occasion for the cycling but she did this with Orange too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

What is the free overnight usage shown as
karensanford
Dabbler

72MB
According to her usage on 1 day she used 3GB. Would this really be right for watching some cycling on Eurosport Player for a couple of hours?
Because she has no idea how to download anything and will only go on the internet to check the odd email and website.

Its just strange because me and my partner have a 10GB allowance a month with Virgin and im always downloading and we never get charged more.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes it could indeed
karensanford
Dabbler

Looks like changing to Plusnet was a bad idea then.
Especially considering shes using the internet the same amount now as she was when with Orange.
Only then she was on a 2GB allowance and never charged a penny more but now shes going to have to upgrade to 60GB
She wanted to change to save money and now its going to cost her even more.
quinndp
Dabbler

Cant you still cancel the contract? Anyway, I'm on a 10 GB limit but rarely get near it despite the PS3 being on for hours at a time and streaming the odd football match at the weekends so are you sure the wi-fi is secured?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not sure which product she was on with Orange as non of the current products have a 2GB allowance - they are all described as unlimited but with a FUP (Fair Usage Policy)
She was probably upgraded to one of the unlimited products (or they just don't bother to monitor up to the FUP level)
Either way with Orange moving everything back to BTw it will get even more restrictive
karensanford
Dabbler

Quote from: quinndp
Cant you still cancel the contract? Anyway, I'm on a 10 GB limit but rarely get near it despite the PS3 being on for hours at a time and streaming the odd football match at the weekends so are you sure the wi-fi is secured?

Shes on a 12 month contract so its not possible to cancel
Shes using the same router as she was using while with Orange and i know for sure it had a password to be able to connect.So even though shes changed internet provider it will still be password protected as shes using the same router.
Ive just spoken to my mum and she said she watches Eurosport player now and again and sometimes some shopping channel but it seems odd that for say 3 hours of streaming she would use up 3GB. And then for 2 weeks shes used up 4GB web browsing.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

72MB

Actually, thats a lot! if its not being used during the 12-8 free period. I have a voip phone permanently connected and my overnight background usage is only about 70kB!.  As quinndp suggested, check the wifi is secured.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karensanford
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
I am not sure which product she was on with Orange as non of the current products have a 2GB allowance - they are all described as unlimited but with a FUP (Fair Usage Policy)
She was probably upgraded to one of the unlimited products (or they just don't bother to monitor up to the FUP level)
Either way with Orange moving everything back to BTw it will get even more restrictive

Ive just checked their website as well and those packages were different to the ones being offered a month ago.
And i know for sure she was on a small usage allowance as i always found it strange why she was never charged more
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Actually its 72MB over a week which is a little high but not excessive.
Just a thought - does Eurosport Player use P2P - if so this would definitely explain the slightly high free usage
karensanford
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
72MB

Actually, thats a lot! if its not being used during the 12-8 free period. I have a voip phone permanently connected and my overnight background usage is only about 70kB!.  As quinndp suggested, check the wifi is secured.

Its definetely secure.
This is why certainly after reading many people are being told their usage is alot higher than normal why im concerned something could be wrong due to Plusnet
karensanford
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Actually its 72MB over a week which is a little high but not excessive.
Just a thought - does Eurosport Player use P2P - if so this would definitely explain the slightly high free usage

No i dont think they do.