cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously - I've never in my life paid so much for broadband PM!!!

harvestgoddess
Dabbler

Seriously - I've never in my life paid so much for broadband PM!!!

£132 PM for a plain old broadband i knew we would be heavy usage users as i have 4 kids , so i took the option for £5 pro , My calls are what a drop in the ocean compared to the outrageous data usage charges , I have been using the internet since the dawn of time & trust me when i say even on dial up pay as you go socketed in whenever needed it never ever cost so much , I see your ridiculous offers of £3 broadband etc etc all over the place , and it just makes me laugh , Its nothing short of daylight robbery and i love how there isnt even a option for unlimited usage nah i see where you get your kicks - I shall be terminating this contract as i would never ever consider paying £100 odd a month call it on broadband alone , i see people hear complaining about paying £12 pm wtf ?!!! Insane and totally wrong - Yes i found a better deal with BT UNLIMITED all in for (after promotions of half price for 123 months!) £48 PM and no worries - Perfect!
Cant wait till fiber optics are everywhere and companies such as yourself are ousted out of the market , You may have the monopoly on my exchange atm but not always  Wink
And i will be demanding my MAC today
20 REPLIES 20
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Seriously - I've never in my life paid so much for broadband PM!!!

Hi harvestgoddess,
I've had a look into your account and can see the usage charges, we do charge for usage and not speed, we will always give you the maximum speed possible.
Every-time that you get to 80% of your usage limit we email to notify you of this and explain the options available. We do have a free usage period between midnight-8am daily to try and help out  customers that will approach or exceed their usage allowance, this option is normally best to schedule any downloads you may do or updates.
It is a lot of money to be paying per month but they are our current usage charges if you exceed your usage allowance. If you decide to stay with us something that would be worth looking at is http://trials.plus.net where we have a package with extra usage and would reduce your bill drastically.
I know this does not reduce your current bill but the link I have provided really would be a financial benefit to you if you are to continue your current usage trend.
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's absolutely plastered all over the product description that Extra has a 60GB usage allowance. So why on earth did you sign up when your usage is so much higher?
As you added 5GB blocks you will have been notified about each one being added. You could have done something to restrict your usage.
It really looks as if you only have yourself to blame for this.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mushy
Grafter

Don't know if its still avalable or not but it isn't usually listed on the website, there is an unlimited downloads option as i was offered it by retentions, might be worth asking to go on an unlimited account.
NedLudd
Grafter

You must have had some idea of your BB usage before changing to PN? Only Sky have truly unlimited BB. You must have been able to monitor your BB usage with any  other ISP! Shocked
Geoff,
York.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read as much as I could upon joining PlusNet, bookmarked many pages of information, and have been extremely happy with my PlusNet experience.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

While the OP should have been more aware of their usage and the (clearly advertised)  additional charges I think this, yet again, highlights the need to be clearer about the setting of usage limits via the member centre https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/ and the fact that it is automatically set to 'no limit set' both on new sign-ups and product changes.
Many people don't read all the 'fine print' when signing up to things, it' all very well pointing out that they should but certain things need to be highlighted a bit better so that customers don't find out the hard way with a massive unexpected bill.
Changing to the 'trial' 120GB option would save a lot, I'd also suggest removing the 'pro' option and trying to restrict P2P and similar to overnight (when is doesn't come off the usage allowance).
Final option, as mentioned already, is to call the Customer Options Team (you'd need to do this to request a MAC anyway) and ask if the legacy 'unlimited' package might be available in these circumstances.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
harvestgoddess
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies - I can hand on heart say NO I've never had any kid of extra charges for usage also i think its worth keeping in mind that the usage is fairly new , And i was with sky unlimited previously so that may well be where the gap in my "Awareness" comes in but as i say i understand that we would be high end users because of the volume of children , Laptops , phones , xboxs etc etc the one also seems to watch a lot of movies online , Jelv no it wasn't "Obvious" to me 60 G is a big amount i thought being as it was the max one available it would suit my needs keep in mind my home is only a large family not a business!!! I presumed it would be plenty especially as my first few bills amounted to £38 odd each month then it jumped to £65 , then £57 and then £78 and finally £132 there is fluctuating in the extreme ?? I've also already paid this bill I'm waiting on my new one atm of course ive bashed the children round the head and warned no downloads etc and i made them all chip in towards the last bill but i don't seem to have a average month ? the trial 120 sounds good however i shall look into it thank you Smiley
harvestgoddess
Dabbler

Also as a note i have not ever received a email regarding any of this be interested to see which email addy was being used and if its at all correct as i check it daily , and i have since last month put limits on it , for those of you not hitting this it doesn't prevent you going over it still keeps going up and up i set mine to 70 G and I'm on 73 ish  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The emails will have been sent to the email shown here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0
Edit: There will be copies of the emails sent in the closed tickets here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
harvestgoddess
Dabbler

Oh dear its been sending to a old email account that i no longer have access too which of course is not PN fault but also shows that NO i was not aware - My mistake for not checking this earlier however
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Glad you've got that bit sorted out!
For any PCs you are using you could install http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ on them to monitor the usage. It can also collate the stats from multiple PCs. You will need to change the off-peak period to midnight to 8am after setting it up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It must be possible when an abnormal usage is detected, to have a pop-up on screen when browsing to cover not checking emails ?
And perhaps even a phone call ?
harvestgoddess
Dabbler

Thanks Jelv i shall look into that Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you have wireless, make sure it is secure so that only your family are using it and no-one outside is piggy-backing on your connection.