Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad to be leaving but no deals on offer without phone line

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sad to be leaving but no deals on offer without phone line

I've been a satisfied customer with Plusnet for about 16 years but have always had my phone line with BT. The phone line contract never coincides with the broadband renewal thus I'm in mid-contract with BT.

Today I telephoned Plusnet to see what broadband fibre deal they could offer a loyal customer, only to be told the system won't allow them to quote me without bringing the phone line to Plusnet. I can't do this without incurring a charge with BT and I also have a legacy discount with them for my Anytime calls which I'd lose if I swapped.

So it seems, after all these years, that I have to finally and reluctantly wave goodbye to Plusnet. It's such a pity there's no reward for loyalty any more.

On a technical note, my current contract with Plusnet expires on 9th July.

1. Do I need to give a certain amount of notice beforehand, ie a month before the expiry date?
  2. Is it possible to leave early, such as within the final month, without incurring a charge?

Been with Plusnet for so long that I've never had to do this before. LOL!

Annie
6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Sad to be leaving but no deals on offer without phone line

Please do not contact Plusnet and give them notice of leaving as they may see that as a termination of services so you could lose your phone line , number and FTTC port (assuming you're on FTTC).

When you find a new supplier, they will arrange for your services to be transferred from Plusnet to themselves. All transfer of services are now led by the new supplier and indeed the old supplier (Plusnet) is barred from trying to get you to stay. All they can do is send a letter saying "sorry to hear you are leaving".

Transfers take a minimum of 10 working days (to avoid phone slamming - fraudulent change of supply).

As you pay 1 month in advance then after the payment on or after the 9th of June, you should be free to initiate the process of signing up for a new supplier. Just check in the member centre to see if the cancellation fees are now zero after that June payment.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Annie
Rising Star

Many thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye in the member centre for the cancellation fees.

Annie
billnotben
Community Veteran

It's a shame plusnet has taken this misguided line.

I found this out recently myself.

I guess it's their business so if they want to shoot themselves in the foot it's their choice.

@Annie wrote:

Today I telephoned Plusnet to see what broadband fibre deal they could offer a loyal customer, only to be told the system won't allow them

Computer say no

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am in the same position.

Since all ISPs are now using the Line Rental as the cash cow to subsidise all the offers for cheap or free broadband, then there is no room for discounts to offer broadband only customers unless you take line rental.

Customer loyalty is a thing of the past. They are all chasing new customers and hope the apathy of existing customers will stop them leaving.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Annie,

You could remain with PlusNet on a rolling month basis until your contract with BT Retail concludes and then move the whole lot to PlusNet and save on line rental as well as broadband.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Annie
Rising Star

I have made a decision and have renewed with Plusnet, bringing my phone line over too. I wanted to get the new hardware sorted out sooner rather than later as I want to get Sky Q and get the broadband sorted out first.

This does mean that I am losing out on some of my prepaid line rental saver with BT but Plusnet were offering me a deal involving BT Sport which I wasn't sure would be around later. BT do offer additional facilities like up to 52Mb speeds as standard on fibre, 100Gb cloud storage, SmartTalk app, etc. but my parents are with BT and their renewal price was really unfavourable. BT also wanted an activation fee of £49 so this had to be taken into account. Plusnet have offered me good renewal deals in the past so I decided to stay. I also have referrals which amount to £3.75 a month which is worth thinking about when making the decision.

Annie