Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewing broadband contract...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Renewing broadband contract...

My apologies, I do appreciate this one’s probably dragged up regularly, if it's not in the correct place please feel free to move...

I’m on an 18 month broadband contract with Plusnet, which is ending late August.  I recently got a mail from them reminding me my contract was coming to an end and offering me another 18 month contract for £3.01 more, which I initially thought was reasonable bearing in mind things generally do go up.

However I have recently been looking on the ‘net and comparing broadband prices and suddenly see that whereas I thought I was on a good price many other providers would give me the same for less, often considerably less.  I called Plusnet and the CS person I spoke to graciously offered to reduce my present monthly broadband cost by £2.99, this would be partly offset by the fact that my line rental would be increased by £1 so the net additional discount for signing up for another18 month contract would be £1.99...  When I mentioned that other providers offer better deals the gentleman said these were obviously introductory offers which I appreciate.  The savings offered by switching providers every 18 months might make it a realistic proposition. I have bought a couple of customers over to Plusnet (family members whose bills I pay!) and I would obviously take those with me eventually but that didn’t appear to carry any weight…  However I do feel that Plusnet should offer customers some sort of loyalty bonus.

I find it unfortunate that a company – and this obviously includes Plusnet – will make introductory offers to new customers which are much more attractive than what they offer customers like me who have been with them for many years and bought them more business. 

I have ~7 weeks to consider my situation but I’m seriously considering moving away from Plusnet.  I have changed my gas and electricity providers on more than one occasion and saved lots of money…I've been on my pension for years and any savings I can make are worthwhile.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Renewing broadband contract...

@PNnewbie 

I would suggest that armed with the competitive prise you ring again but select the ‘I’m thinking of leaving’ option and try again. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

moansalot
Rising Star

Hi Newbie

my current contract expires late july and my renewal proposal  for Fibre Unlimited extra  has just been recieved - I did some research and noticed that for new customers  the offer for 18 months contract  is £27.99 while for a 12 month contract it's only £26.99 !!! both figues include what appears to be the obligatory line rental but excludes any call packages

you may be interested in this bit of there email  "But don't worry, we have some great offers for you - even new customers can't get better."

fyg my renewal quote is £3,00 less than my current deal ( basis a proposed 18 month renewal ) so you may be able to use that when talking to CS about renewals

😎

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks guys for your input...

Baldrick - I think I did ask for the appropriate dept when I called.

moansalot - "But don't worry, we have some great offers for you - even new customers can't get better."  That's an interesting thing for Plusnet to say - in my experience Plusnet have 'always' given new customers a better deal.  Sadly i didn't have that in my in my renewal email or I'd have thrown it at them!  I seem to remember that on one occasion I paid the line rental up front and that got a small discount, I forgot to ask them this time.

On a different tack someone did say in another posting that you could always call Plusnet again in a couple of weeks and maybe get another CS guy who just might be more generous!  But maybe they make a note on their computer of what you've been offered so they might just offer the same again?  As a matter of interest i presume that what I was offered will remain untill I renew or go elsewhere, I don't want to go back and say I'll take the £1.99 or whatever it was only to be told 'sorry Sir, that offer no longer exists'

I've got almost 'till the end of August, we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for both your comments/advice.

moansalot
Rising Star

Apologies I forgot to add that  my renewal offer from PN  also offered a £60 voucher  - probably rubbing salt into the wound,

This was basis an 18month contract

More barganing ammunition   - though checking  forums actually getting the email to start the process is harder than getting my mate to open his wallet to buy a round 😎

PNnewbie
Rising Star

moansalot - >>> Apologies I forgot to add that my renewal offer from PN also offered a £60 voucher <<<

That is rubbing salt into the wound...!

What I omitted to ask PN customer service was would there be a discount if I paid the line rental up front.  I've done that before and it has resulted in a slight discount...

I'm still thinking of what to do, I seem to remember my 18 month contract ends ~20th August.