cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund for days of unused broadband after switching

simonj
Dabbler

Refund for days of unused broadband after switching

I'm not too certain about the process of switching to another broadband provider.
I understand I need to give 14 days notice to switch to a new provider and tell PlusNet the date I wish to have my service cut off.

1)  I don't know how long the process of switching over is going to take. What happens if the switch happens sooner than the cut off date I have specified to PlusNet? With my broadband up and running with my new provider I obviously can't have two broadband connections on the go. Can I claim back the remaining days of broadband connection I have from PlusNet?
2) What happens if the switchover takes longer than the date I specify to PlusNet? Will I be without broadband in between being disconnected from PlusNet and waiting for my new  connection with the new provider to be connected?
3) I understand if transferring my broadband to TalkTalk I don't need a MAC key. But who should I contact first of all. TalkTalk to order my broadband or PlusNet to cancel my current service?

Sorry, lots of questions. I would appreciate your help.
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Refund for days of unused broadband after switching

Hi there,
1)  I don't know how long the process of switching over is going to take. What happens if the switch happens sooner than the cut off date I have specified to PlusNet? With my broadband up and running with my new provider I obviously can't have two broadband connections on the go. Can I claim back the remaining days of broadband connection I have from PlusNet?

The process usually takes between one and two weeks, if you're moving to an LLU provider (i.e Talk Talk) that would automatically trigger the cessation of the service with us as part of the process as an overlap wouldn't be possible due the need for engineers to disconnect you from the BT Wholesale kit at the exchange and reconnect you to the LLU kit.
If any unused days happen as a result we would refund you but that shouldn't be the case to be honest.
2) What happens if the switchover takes longer than the date I specify to PlusNet? Will I be without broadband in between being disconnected from PlusNet and waiting for my new  connection with the new provider to be connected?

The date of the switch over is determined by the new ISP, downtime shouldn't occur but should only run up to an hour or two and again that's more likely to happen if moving to an LLU provider.
3) I understand if transferring my broadband to TalkTalk I don't need a MAC key. But who should I contact first of all. TalkTalk to order my broadband or PlusNet to cancel my current service?

Technically it shouldn't matter but to be on the safe side I'd advise giving our customer options team a call first:
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/grass_is_greener.shtml
All the best,
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
simonj
Dabbler

Re: Refund for days of unused broadband after switching

Thanks for your very helpful reply. I will give PlusNet a call anyway as I'm thinking of keeping my email address after I have moved.