cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PlusNet dial-up service questions

FF101
Dabbler

Resurrecting just to re-check the current position.   I have an old service which I converted to dial-up many years ago when I left PlusNet broadband.   I still use the e-mail as my primary email address and my account currently shows:  "PlusNet Residential Generic Services Product" "  "This is a free account with no next invoice date".  

As mentioned in the posts above, this is fine for incoming mail.  Outgoing is no problem as I took out a later new PlusNet broadband contract online (I did not want to miss out on a great new account offer and substantial Quidco payment, so did not have my old account re-converted to broadband) and use those details for outgoing mail.

However, I am worried that at some point the free e-mail service may end and/or I could somehow just lose my original free e-mail service altogether.  From the sound of the posts above getting the old account converted to broadband to replace my newer account would be an enormous hassle.  I suppose that one option would be to migrate the existing broadband away from PlusNet for a period and then come back by asking PlusNet to convert my old account to broadband, although it sounds as though that might also be a potential hassle.

I suppose that I should be comforted by the fact that PlusNet sees the continued use of old e-mail addresses on defunct accounts as a revenue source (the £20 charge which I don't - currently - have to pay) so maybe I should not be worrying too much that I will ever lose the old address completely; at worst I may just end up at some point being hit with a £20 charge if PlusNet changes the rules.

Any thoughts as to what I should do ??    Maybe just leave well alone ...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue.

2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: PlusNet on dial-up service questions

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread and title changed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

am worried that at some point the free e-mail service may end and/or I could somehow just lose my original free e-mail service altogether. 

As far as I'm aware we've no plans to get rid of your free account which houses your email service.

If things change we'll let you know though.

From the sound of the posts above getting the old account converted to broadband to replace my newer account would be an enormous hassle.  I suppose that one option would be to migrate the existing broadband away from PlusNet for a period and then come back by asking PlusNet to convert my old account to broadband, although it sounds as though that might also be a potential hassle.

That really isn't something we'd do anyway since it requires a lot of manual work to add the broadband/home phone components back to these type of accounts and with the potential for things to go wrong.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet