cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railroaded in to debt collections?!?

espleyville

Railroaded in to debt collections?!?

I recently left plusnet for another provider when I moved house. After a few weeks I get a final bill. According to the letter the only way to pay is on the phone, so I call up several times but each time it says a 45 minute wait... I hold on for 10 mins or so then give up. Whilst on hold it tells you to pay online, only the webpage is broken/doesn't exist.

Now, less than a month after the date of the first (and only) letter and after several failed attempts to pay, I finally get someone to call me back via the online chat and they tell me it's gone to debt collectors so I can't pay directly any more? Also, they can't tell me when it went to debt collection (so it could have been straight after they sent the letter for all I know), and can't explain why they didn't just take the final bill via direct debit rather than cancel it, or why they didn't bother trying to contact me to arrange payment. I've checked my phone records and I have 0 missed calls from plusnet, although you clearly have my number as you eventually used it to call me back.

Plusnet literally made it as difficult as possible (e.g. impossible) for me to pay and now I've got a black mark on my credit rating. Your customer service advisor just told me the collections amount will be the same as the final bill - I'll wait to see how that pans out but it seems unlikely there won't be additional fees so that's probably blatantly false information.

As your customer service is nigh on uncontactable take this as the start of my complaint to you re the Ofcom complaints procedure. 

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Railroaded in to debt collections?!?

espleyville

Yes probably and I would have happily done so, had I an address to send it to, although given plusnets aversion to actually taking payments and penchant for debt collectors I'm sure they wouldn't have banked it anyway.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Did you try to contact our billing team on the telephone number we provided by email here?

There's usually no call queue at all for them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
espleyville

Hi Gandalf, 

No I hadn't seen that email as it went in to my spam, but why was the billing telephone number not included on the letter to me rather than the customer service line with the 45 min wait? 

I'm glad you've drawn my attention to this though as it raises several further questions (in addition to the ones in my previous post, which you haven't answered: Why did no one try to call me? Why was I directed to an online payment page that doesn't exist? Why was payment not taken by direct debit rather than cancelling it?) 

Most importantly, the email you've linked shows that the bill was sent to recovery/debt collection before it was ever sent to me. This is utterly outrageous and bizarre. The timeline is as follows: 

12 Sept: I call up to cancel. The adviser creates a support query to process this (why a support query? there was no query, why is it not as simple as issuing a final bill and collecting it via direct debit?) 

18 Sept: 6 days later, someone "escalated" my "support query" to the correct queue. It seems reasonable to assume then that the original adviser did not process my cancellation request correctly. 

25 Sept: A further week later, someone confirms the amount of my final bill. Instead of this prompting a normal reaction, such as issuing a final bill, issuing it on a letter, calling me up (perhaps just taking it by direct debit?) he decides to immediately send it in to recovery/collections. Keep in mind at this point that I have not been contacted even once to ask for the bill via any method. Nothing. The only thing he does do is send me an email entitled "Question 157694107 has been closed." What?! Why not something like "Important: We've calculated you final bill and put it immediately in to recovery" or at least "Your final bill has been calculated and needs to be paid." In any event it's redirected to my spam folder. 

28 Sept: 3 days after being put in to recovery someone finally decides to write me a letter and actually let me know that you want any money, que the debacle of  not being given the correct number to call, being directed to a web page that doesn't exist, etc. Note that this letter isn't sent first class, and if your letter processing system works anything like others I am familiar with, it won't have actually been put in the post until Friday 29th September. As it wasn't sent first class and as it was sent on a Friday, I wouldn't have received it until Tue/Weds the 3rd/4th of October, a full 8 or 9 days after being put in to recovery/collections. Yes, as unbelievable as it seems, you failed to let me know that a bill even existed until over a week after you'd already sent it to collections. 

If my complaint was going by a similar timeline, I'd have already sent it to Ofcom, then a couple days from now I'd post something here saying "Oh I've got a bit of a problem, could you help?" 

Please can you do the following: 

1) Sent an updated credit report to every credit reference agency you use and cancel the missed payment report you will have given them. 

2) Confirm that I won't have to pay a penny more than the final bill amount to the debt collection agency. 

3) Apologise for your ridiculous behaviour 

espleyville

I'm still waiting for Plusnets "award winning customer service" to kick in. Hello?? Any time now would be fantastic.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

I'm very sorry you haven't received a further reply here.

I've been looking over your account and can see you've been dealing with our complaints team regarding this issue, I'll leave this in their capable hands to respond to your queries.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.