Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about contract

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Question about contract

I am on 12 month contract, but not quite sure when it ends. I paid the initial £50 (set-up) on 17 Feb this year, the next payment was on the 6th April (£26.02). So, when did my actual contract start?..or..when does it end? 

Thanks for any replies.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
13 REPLIES 13
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Question about contract

The initial payment usually includes the charges for the first month of your contract so I would guess that your contract commenced on 6th March.

One of the PN staff who contribute to this forum will probably invite you to send them a private message with your user name so they can then give you the exact date.

If you can be bothered to look up how much you have to pay for each month left of your contract if you leave early, your account summary will give you a clue as to how many months are remaining (although the month you paid for most recently is included in this amount for some reason).

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the contract started from the initial payment or the month after so thanks for clearing that up. As for what I pay each month, well that varies because I don't have a call plan in place, it's broadband and line only.

The reason for asking in the first place was to try and figure out when I could start and think of when to renew my contract, do I renew the month it ends or the month before to allow everything to go smoothly cos I'm thinking of upgrading.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Pete11 wrote:

@Jonpe

As for what I pay each month, well that varies because I don't have a call plan in place, it's broadband and line only.

The reason for asking in the first place was to try and figure out when I could start and think of when to renew my contract, do I renew the month it ends or the month before to allow everything to go smoothly cos I'm thinking of upgrading.

The round £50 looks more like a set-up fee than anything else, but since all bills are payable in advance your April bill would have been for the April/May service.  The contract starts from the day your first service goes live; did this happen in early March?  The start date for each service is listed in the left-hand column of the account summary.  The figure I suggested you look at isn't what you actually pay, but what you'd have to pay if you left during the contract term.  For example if you have to pay £10 per month left of your contract and the account summary shows that £40 is payable, the contract expires three months after your next billing date.

I was told that I could renew until midnight on the last day of my contract if I wanted to avoid being charged the out-of-contract rate for any period.  If you are upgrading, there is more chance that things will go wrong whether you re-contract at expiry or earlier.  I think the Options Team will only consider giving you a discounted deal if you call within the last three months of your existing contract.  The closer to the end of your contract you are, the cheaper it is for you to leave, which means they'll work harder to keep you.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I wasn't thinking of leaving, just trying to work out the best time to renew (if a decent deal can be done). But yes, you are correct in saying the 6th, it's the 6th of each month that I get notification of bill.  Thumbs_Up And again yes, the £50 was the setup fee. I'll give the team a call at the end of Feb and see what they can do.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I would recommend making the call before the Feb billing date - to discuss options - making plain that you intended to make a decision as to upgrade (or migrate) on the contact anniversary date (6th March).  That sets a framework for the discussion; it gives you time to consider any offer before being rushed in to making a decision; it gives you chance to ensure that the changes can be made to suit you, ensuring there is no period of "full price charging" to contend with.

Plusnet does not do price matching, but it is always worth being 'armed' with some price comparisons - but do make sure that they are like for like packages.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the replies, there's some good advice from both of you. Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hey Pete. I've sent you an e-mail confirming your contract start and end dates.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Gandalf

That will help a lot.  Thumbs_Up

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @Gandalf as per message #8.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems Pete.

If you let me know when the time comes to renew your contract, I'll be happy to arrange a call back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Arranging a call-back would be great when it's closer to the time. At the moment I'm not sure whether to just re-contract or upgrade to the 80/20 (to be honest I'm not sure what the line can handle). But will certainly take you up on the call.  Thumbs_Up

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Pete, I can confirm after checking your line:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

High Low High Low  
VDSL Range A (Clean) 68.8 49 19.7 13.3 41.8

You would see in increase but until the product was changed unfortunately we can't tell exactly by how much just that it would fall within the above estimates.

Kind regards,

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@BD

Thanks for that, I have plenty of time to make mind up as to upgrade or not but that little graphic helps.  Thumbs_Up