cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put on a contract, after querying a router upgrade.

Sonicscooter
Dabbler

Put on a contract, after querying a router upgrade.

My line is currently down (has been since 7th April) and we have been advised it is with BT Openreach for digging work, expected fix 29th April....

This is about what happened during a discussion about compensation.

I was put through to PN sales when I asked about the new PN router, and after some discussion I decided I wasnt getting anywhere, after being offered a new contract to get the upgraded router (at P&P cost to me as well).  I said, no thats ok, I'll stay where I am then.

So, I got the email confirming my conversation, and that I was happy to stay where I was (monthly rolling contract). Not happy then that it was followed by another email - 'thanks for signing up to a new contract....' 

So I rang again - yes I had been put on an 18 month contract after saying no thanks.  So I got the apology, and was told it would be cancelled and I would go back to the unlimited fibre that I was on previously.

So having read on here that fibre packages had changed since I took mine out ( I signed up to the 40/20 package way back when), I asked for confirmation what I was going back to.  Yes, you guessed right, 40/2....   which isn't great as I use VPN for working from home often.

So after being told that they didn't offer 40/20 anymore, and having to be put on hold for a while, I was verbally assured that everything would return to the way it was (once the line break is fixed).  I have now had an email.

'I can now confirm that you are not in a contract and your speeds will return to normal. Again I am very sorry for the hassle. I am glad that we have been able to resolve this issue for you tonight.'

Reassuring, but no mention of the speeds I will return to - whose 'normal'.

I would like confirmation that my line speeds will return to levels I experienced (prior to noise, crackle, disconnects, line break, etc etc) and not limited to PN's new package restrictions.  Having it in writing is so much more reassuring.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Put on a contract, after querying a router upgrade.

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that this has happened, leave this with me and I'll see what I can do for you tomorrow.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thank you for your patience. I've investigated this and I've identified that your service should be provisioned on the 55/10 package because you're on the legacy 40/20 product. I'm placing the order now which should complete tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

Not too happy about that.  Legacy it may be, but if I signed up to 40/20 speeds, the terms and conditions I signed up to surely still apply.

I work from home a lot to care for my disabled son, and I use VPN to get in to work network.  So upload speeds are very important. Slashing my upload in half sounds like a problem, and increasing the download by a corresponding amount isn't the same thing.

Happy to discuss further - just ring me (might have to use the mobile, as m phone service with you is still out for repair)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm happy to discuss this further with you over the phone, but would just like to look for other options first. I'll call you before the close of the day.

+++Edit+++

I tried to call you today @Sonicscooter but there was no answer. Let us know if there's a best time, I'm around until 6.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Once again, thank you for your time on the phone.

I hope I've clarified things for you and I am sorry for the frustration this has caused you. I've created this ticket on your account with more information following our conversation.

+Edit+

Just editing post to correct link.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet