Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure for changing billing date

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Procedure for changing billing date

Hi guys,
Just been going through all my monthly outgoing commitments - banks, credit cards, services, etc - and changing them over to give a billing date of the 1st of the month (many of them changed as a result of my recent house move) however I haven't been able to find out how to do this here. Can you advise?
Not only is it beneficial for me with regards to managing finances but with my broadband I do of course have my monthly download limit which I have only just realised is tied to the billing date rather than calendar months. Syncing this would be of great benefit.
Regards,
Mathew
8 REPLIES 8
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Procedure for changing billing date

A search around the forum would of given you the answer you desire without posting, I see this question so many times here, Anyway here Is what JoJo ( Plusnet staff ) Has to say about It on another thread In this section not far down the page, Hope this answer's your query for you.
the billing date depends on your broadband activation date and as such we can't change this. We have a company wide rule where there cannot change this as it causes lots of problems with the system.I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better reply than that.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
MJN
Pro

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your input. I did do a search prior to posting and found the following by Plusnet's Matt Taylor when asked by another customer (in this case they wanted to set it to a particular date prior to going live):
The billing date is set to the date the account goes active, so we can't change it until after that happens I'm afraid

It seems to contradict what you quoted so some clarification from Plusnet would still be appreciated as their seems to be mixed messages or misunderstanding on my part (hence the posting).
It'd be a shame if it cannot be changed, particularly if it is as common a customer request as you say.
Mathew
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It can be done but is fraught with dangers and so is only attempted by the experienced Plusnet staff such as those who post in these forums.
Are you a broadband only user or do you also have home phone? Home phone would make it more complicated.
Knowing how fragile the Plusnet billing system is my own inclination would be to not tempt fate and leave well alone!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MJN
Pro

Quote from: jelv
Are you a broadband only user or do you also have home phone? Home phone would make it more complicated.

Both!  Smiley
For what it's worth I'm a new customer so I don't know if that might help the situation.
Mathew
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately, a change of billing date isn't currently possible without intervention from our Development Team - this is only taken in extreme circumstances where an account will not be billed properly (e.g. billing date stuck in the past).
The billing date is set when the account activates. This used to be when broadband went active (regardless of telephone order state) but is now when the first order completes - telephone or broadband.
As an aside, this change was enacted to resolve some of the billing problems we have recently experienced.
MJN
Pro

Thanks for the clarification. It's a shame, but it's not the end of the world.
If you're open to feedback this'd be something I'd like to see available.
Cheers,
Mathew
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're always open to feedback and this is something that we are very aware needs addressing.
The problem is that broadband and telephone billing were never designed to have the billing date changed and to do this would cause months of billing to be out of alignment. The resources required to develop a tool to change the billing date without massive disruption to the account just aren't available at the moment due to commitments to other projects.
MJN
Pro

Thanks Ben. Fully understand re the benefit vs effort and indeed I wouldn't expect, or want, it to take priority over other more beneficial tasks.
Cheers,
Mathew