cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price rises

mantis
Dabbler

Price rises

Have come to the end of 18 month contract and the best offer is to INCREASE my cost/month while still charging me the same cost for TV even though I have already paid for the Youview box. Sad to see that new customers get better deals than someone who has been with plusnet for over 3 years.  Anybody out there getting better deals?

13 REPLIES 13
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Price rises

It's been a bone of contention for a long time - As some who has been with PN since '09 I would have been saying the same thing when you became a customer. 

When you say the best offer is an increase... have you spoke with retentions? They are the best placed to make offers. I think the number is 08000132632 and press the button for 'thinking of leaving'

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

This practice (which is normal for most major ISPs) will only stop when customers refuse to accept it. The ISPs rely on most people just accepting it, thinking that changing to another ISP will be too much hassle. So my advice is don't accept it, as in most cases you will eventually get a better offer. However, at least one major ISP is now allowing existing customers to get the same deal as new customers so hopefully it won't be too long before the practice ceases. The choice of ISP should surely be based on service and not be a race to the bottom with loyal customers being lost to be replaced by new ones attracted by very low starting rates. When my existing contract ends there is absolutely no way that I will pay any more than I am now - if that means changing ISP then so be it.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@custos - will you be changing to an ISP that does not have any introductory or lower rates for the first however many months then?

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

What's to stop you switching back and forth between your two favourite ISPs, thereby always getting the 'new customer' rates?

custos
Aspiring Pro

A friend of mine has indeed just changed back from BT, after they imposed a huge increase, to the ISP he was with before. To get the best deal it's a two year contract, however since they guarantee no price increase during the contract period that's not a problem.

mantis
Dabbler

There's nothing stopping me. I just feel that it is a pain in the bum. Also BT wanted to charge £60 line activation even though I already have Fibre active with Plusnet (BT owned), Apparently this was for a "highly qualified engineer" to install a router!

Jonpe
Hero

I remember back in the BT monopoly days I wanted a non-standard phone and was told an engineer had to attend to install it.  He plugged it in, called a number, dialled the automatic call-back number, and called the operator asking for my account to be credited with the cost of five units (remember units?).  I could have plugged in the phone and used it, and in the unlikely event of any problems, reported them to BT, but instead I had to pay an engineer.  There was also an extra rental charge of £2/quarter, which some years later went up to £6 at which point I returned the phone and bought my own which I have to this day.  Perhaps their engineers could be better employed laying fibre-optic cables or something.

custos
Aspiring Pro

Originally only one was phone was supplied and it was wired in. You were forbidden to install another and if you wanted an extension they had to do the wiring and supply the extra phone and this was an extra charge on your bill.

Jonpe
Hero

Yes, I remember the unpluggable phones.  And when the plugs were installed there were dire warnings against plugging in any phone other than the BT-supplied one. 

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I must have missed that bit, though I do remember the green "Approved" and red "Not Approved" tags with the appropriate warnings against the use of "red" phones.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Jonpe
Hero

There were phones advertised that would show you the caller's number, and BT claimed that using those on their system would cause all kinds of problems and was prohibited.  What they probably meant was that it would cause financial problems since they were not yet able to charge for that service.