Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Price increase

I have been a loyal subscriber to Plusnet since they first started twenty years ago.

I have just received an email from Plusnet offering me a new fixed price contract, on the grounds that I am no longer on one. For a start, I was surprised because I thought that I was still on a fixed price contract, but evidently it expired at the end of October.  However, no-one from Plusnet advised me of this which I find unprofessional and rather short-sighted.  Presumably Plusnet wants to keep its customers on the basis of a bird in the hand etc...! 

I was talked through a new 24 month contract and was a little surprised that it was so expensive - I did not think that I had been paying as much as that before.  However, I accepted the offer on the basis that it was in good faith competitively priced, and I was advised that I had a 14 day cooling-off period.

Afterwards I thought i would look into what I had been previously paying and was astonished to discover that the new price represents nearly a 20% price increase !  Well, I am retired, living on a pension and 20% is far higher than any increase in my pension is likely to be (even listening to election promises !).

I therefore decided to do a price comparison.  Plusnet was indeed at the top of the list, offering the cheapest deal which was actually less than I have paid in the past.  There was one problem :  it is restricted to new customers only.  No rewards for loyalty therefore !

However, there were all sorts of other offers from competitors, all of them far cheaper than the renewal price Plusnet has offered.  I am not at all happy about this, and therefore intend to invoke the 14 day cancellation period unless Plusnet can give me a valid reason why I should not do so.

I have tried to contact Plusnet tonight, but the Chat service is not available and Customer Services is closed.  So I would ask  for someone from Plusnet to get in touch with me URGENTLY.  I can be contacted by telephone in the normal way or preferably by email, as I am out and about a lot, or of course through this website or by PM.

If I do not hear from anyone from Customer Services, then I will have no alternative but go elsewhere.  I am not unreasonable and understand that prices have to be increased but not by 20% !  Especially not in a competitive market, and even less so when I barely get download speeds of 20 Mb. ! 

I hope someone gets in touch quickly.

5 REPLIES 5
shermans
Pro

Re: Price increase

Before anyone has had a chance to reply, I have just seen this posting on the Forum :

jgb
 jgb
Pro
Fixes: 3

@catharsisinjune

I think @Baldrick1 has got it spot on. The dashboard offer you have is really £15.99 plus £18.99 = £34.98 which is the present out of contract rate (before the price increase on 3 December). The Black Friday offer of £26.99 including line rental for an 18 month contract is about the best offer you would get from the COT as an existing customer (unless you hit them on a very good day!).

Baldrick1
 Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 95

@catharsisinjune 

Beware, You may well find that this is £15.99 PLUS line rental. These offers are rarely value for money, put out to catch the unwary.

shermans
Pro

If the above is correct, I thought that Plusnet was required to make customers aware of any better offers available, or am I confusing it with Ofwatt and electricity etc.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@shermans 

What you need to do is ring Plusnet, which you will have to do anyway to cancel the new contract. Before you ring make a note of a cheap competitors price for a comparable service. When you cancel quote the competitors price and ask for it to be matched if they want to keep you as a customer. Chances are they will match the monthly cost.

Do not bother quoting the Plusnet new customer offer, that doesn’t work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shermans
Pro

No-one from Plusnet has made any attempt to contact me yet.  So presumably no-one is interested in my business.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @shermans and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm afraid that you'd need to call us to cancel the pending contract change as we can't take notice over our forums or on a ticket.

The team you need to speak to can be contacted on 0800 013 2632 and are open the following hours

Monday to Friday- 9 am while 8 pm
    Saturday - 9 am while 7 pm
    Sunday - 9 am while 6 pm

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team