Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price hike

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Price hike

Have I missed something?

My usual £18.40 fibre only broaband bill has jumped to £20.55.

I guess I must have blinked.... and chat line for an explanation is not available at the moment even if I 'join the queue'.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Price hike

@Minivanman wrote:

Have I missed something?

Yes https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/2019-pricing-changes-existing

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You should have received an email from Plusnet in the last month or so, allowing you to escape from this unexpected price increase.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend

Hopefully yes, was there an increase then?

If so this is the first one I have noticed.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer is in the previous replies Huh

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

3rd December 2019

Luckily, I escaped because my "contract" for broadband only is prior to June 2014 - otherwise I'd be looking at a £4.50 increase.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend

@MisterW wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

Have I missed something?

Yes https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/2019-pricing-changes-existing

Thanks for that, looks though to have been sent before the 3rd as I have no record either way so I guess I must have blinked after all!

Interesting or should I say little surprised to note that new contracts will oblige new customers to pay for a landline presumably if the want it or not or, in this age of mobiles, if they have a landline phone or not.

Another way of protecting income by a pre-emptive strike?

Hmm

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think most of the low cost ISPs insist on having landline and broadband with them 

I seem to recall you're on fttp , is that correct ? If that's the case then you still have a pretty good price, even after the rise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@MisterW 

Well yes certainly and little complaint there, but I was just making the observation on what I see as rather dubious practice I mean, how wonderful for new customers having to pay for something they might not want or the might not need.

So say nothing because 'I'm alright Jack'? - well no, not really.

All nice and friendly on those spoon whittling karaoke adverts of theirs, but at the end of the day it really is just business - innit.😉

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Most people have to have a landline anyway ( except the lucky ones on fttp ) , all the isps are doing is insisting it is part of the package. Let's face it, with the current race to the bottom in pricing, most of the profit is in the landline rental.

Minivanman
Legend

Well yes, but my guess is that it has dawned on those bean counters that as more ditch and switch to mobile they are on course to lose a great deal on money unless they move the goalposts.

Just seems like they are being a bit naughty.

"Don't want a sun roof on your car? Sorry sir, but it's all part of our new deal for new customers giving them something they don't want but still have to pay for even if they never open it"

Pay your line rental, or the puppy gets it. 😨

Reminds me of those crazy fees companies charge for setting up an equity release,  or those little tricks Ryanair get up to. Always more ways to dip fingers into our pockets I guess and this one does disappoint I must say.

Herman Melville